Help with wording

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Help with wording

Postby dixiecricket13 » 19 Aug 2010, 18:40

I need to send off for a marriage record and birth record to the comune of Bisacquino. For the marriage record, I know the husband's name but I am all messed up on the wife's name and I don't know how to phrase my questions properly in Italian.

To summarize, I am looking for the parents (and marriage record) of Bernarda Milazzo, born April 1877. Bernarda's baptismal record shows her parents as Josepho and Francesca Lanza (I think). Bernarda's death record in the US lists her parents as Joe and Frances Distefano/Destfina with an approximate birth date of 1851. I am also looking for Frances Lanza/Distefano's birth record from 1851. Also Frances Miller (changed their name from Milazzo to Miller in the US) death record states her mother's name as Frances Connereila and her father's name as Mal Jeffres.

I do not know how to address the differences with the last names in English, much less in Italian. Can anyone help me?

Thank you!
Christina

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help with wording

Postby Tessa78 » 19 Aug 2010, 18:58

Hello Christina :-)

Have you seen this Italian form letter generator? Just fill in the blanks with what you know, and write "don't know" where necessary.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Or you can use...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

When I wrote for my GGM's records I didn't realize that I didn't have the correct spelling of her surname, AND I didn't know her parents' names, or her spouse's name. I provided what I did know (her birthdate.) I received the correct documents. :-)

T.

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 19 Aug 2010, 19:34

Thank you for the help. I had seen the letters but didn't know how to explain the problems. I'm still not sure how to account for the different last names given for Frances.

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 19 Aug 2010, 20:13

Does the following even make sense?

Mi chiamo Christina Naro, ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sulla mia bisnonna, Bernarda Milazzo e Bernarda Milazzo’s padre e madre. Bernarda nel comune di Bisaquino. Vorrei anche l'atto di matrimonio di suo padre and madre.
Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi l'estratto dell'atto di nascita di Bernarda Milazzo e Bernarda Milazzo’s padre e madre., in carta libera. Nata nel aprile 1875 o 1877.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 19 Aug 2010, 20:19

And I have read conflicting information...I am to send money or not...and how much?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 19 Aug 2010, 21:40

Don't send money unless/until you are requested to do so. Many comunes do not request a fee.

As for the note...
Try to avoid contractions or possessives with an apostrophe... like Bernarda's. Instead you can say "mother and father of Bernarda" or "her mother and father"...
I think you left out words in "Bernarda nel comune di Bisaquino"..There is no verb there.
In the sentence asking for the l'estratto you also ask for that of her parents, but you give only the date of 1875 and 1877... You need to give an approximate date for the births of the parents as well...

T.

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 19 Aug 2010, 21:53

Hi there -

I was unsure and could not find "her" for Italian, unless it is "suoi"?

Bernarda was born in 1877 or 1875. Her mother was supposed to have been born in 1851. Her father's information I have but I would like their marriage record and I do not know any date for the marriage.

Would you please write the correct way to say "Bernarda was born in the comune of Bisacquino".

Thank you for your review and help.
-C

rdel4577
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rdel4577 » 19 Aug 2010, 23:56

Did you know that the church records for Bisacquino are on www.familysearch.org?
If you go to that web site and hit the drop down menu for "Search Records" and then go to "Record search Pilot". Then click on "Search Our Record Collections". A map will appear and click on Europe. There will then be a list of countries with databases. Go to Italy and click on Palermo Province. A list will come up and one of them is Bisacquino.

You can browse the actual church record images. If you find your relatives you can then ask the Comune with the actual dates.

I did this and was fortunate enough to visit Bisacquino this summer and went to the municipio with the actual dates and was able to get the documents.

Good Luck!

Roberto

PS the records go back to the 1600's!!

rdel4577
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rdel4577 » 20 Aug 2010, 00:12

I found Bernarda. Her birth date is 19 April 1877.

Parents Josepho (Giuseppe) Milazzo and Francesca Lanza.

There is a "Josepho" born to Rosario Milazzo and Aloyisia Giangrosso born on 3 February 1850. Could be the one?

Roberto

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 20 Aug 2010, 14:41

Hi -

Yes I am aware of the online records and have been though the indices for a 5 year +/- of the stated birth year, page by page, and also the actual baptismal records page by page for the same time frames, just to be sure i wasn't overlooking anything. I can find nothing else.

I already have records on Josepho Milazzo (born Jan 1846); but my biggest dilemma is Bernarda's mother. In the record for 1877 the mother is listed as Francesca Lanza but in Bernarda's US death record (and her sister's death record) the mother's surname is listed as Distefano/Destfina. I cannot find her sister's birth record, Saveria - born 3 May 1880, online to confirm the mother's surname listed on it.

I just think it's strange/too coincidental that 2 Bernarda Milazzo's would have been born in the same month within a few days of each other with the same father's name and same mother's first name; but in separate years. I think it's the same person but she got her birth years mixed up; but I cannot explain the difference in surnames for the mother.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Aug 2010, 14:46

.....maybe one of the two died at birth or shortly thereafter! =Peter=
~Peter~

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 20 Aug 2010, 15:05

But almost to the same day 2 years apart with the same name? I know it's possible but is it probable?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Aug 2010, 16:20

Perhaps that is the time cycle for the parents thats most fertile. =Peter=
~Peter~

dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dixiecricket13 » 20 Aug 2010, 21:11

Hi Peter -

Not exactly the answer that I was expecting. I will keep it in mind though...

I am still unsure of the proper way to address all of this in Italian to mail the comune. The form letters are straightforward and this request is a bit more complex because I am not sure of the dates or names of the parents.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 21 Aug 2010, 00:02

List mother as "Francesca Lanza o Destefano" [Francesca Lanza or Destefano]

Give year of birth as "circa 1875 o 77" (or whatever date you are using)

T.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”