Two Thick Divorce Decrees

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Sessa

Two Thick Divorce Decrees

Postby Sessa » 27 Aug 2010, 00:26

Hey Everybody~

I put my Italian Citizenship pursuit on the back burner for awhile due to other issues, but I'm back on it with determination.

I definitely qualify now that I have received my GF Naturalization docs (Petition, Declaration, Oath, Arrival). He was Naturalized in 1940 and my mother was born in 1931...yah! I also have my GF Italian Birth Certificate from his comune.

Anyway, now the most difficult part is MY documents. The big problem for me is I have Two Big Fat Divorce Decrees that apparently need to be translated! I would skip them if was just me applying, but a big part of my motivation to get this done is to pass dual citizenship on to my children.

My question, has anyone had to have an entire divorce decree translated? Is it possible to translate only the parts of it, excluding the routine legalese?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Two Thick Divorce Decrees

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Aug 2010, 12:07

It has been my understanding that not only must divorce decress be translated in full, but that they must be done so by a professional who is used to working with legal documents.

Only your consulate knows for sure. I would sugggest you bring them to your appointment un-translated and then let them tell you exactly what is required; you can give them the un-translated copies and then mail in the translations after the meeting.

Your only other option is to try to get an answer from the consulate in advance. Be aware however that the third-party appointment and help service that most of the consulates are now using is known for giving out incorrect or incomplete information...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Sessa

Re: Two Thick Divorce Decrees

Postby Sessa » 28 Aug 2010, 23:20

Thanks for the reply, Johnny. I talked to the Houston Italian Chamber of Commerce (the name is close, may not be exact) recommended by the Houston Consulate for English/Italian translations and they told me documents were $50 a page and divorce decrees were $40 a page! That is at least 5k for just the divorce decrees...not going to happen.

I'm rethinking my strategy on this.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”