Translation Assistance

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Translation Assistance

Postby MLAllegro » 31 Aug 2010, 17:37

Hello, I recently acquired a ton of old family documents and postcards. This one that have posted a link and attachment has caught my eye. I'm having a bit of trouble translating it. I understand a few words here and there but I know that it can change the entire context. I know that it is address to my great-grandfather, Albano, and judging by the date, it is in congratulations of his recent engagement to my great-grandmother. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u338 ... 4_back.jpg
My known surnames: Allegro, Chinnici, Fidemi, DaVia, Fedon; Areas of interest: Raddusa Sicily, Belluno (Domegge di Cadore, Vallesella di Cadore)
MLAllegro

Re: Translation Assistance

Postby Lucap » 31 Aug 2010, 22:14

This is a correct version of the letter: can you now understand it?

Carissimo figlio
Ho ricevuto (la tua lettera): tutto bene.
Saluti da me e (da tua)
sorella. Quanto
prima ti scrivo (=scriverò) (meaning a letter and not a post card).
Credimi, tua amorosa (=che ti vuole bene)
madre Rachele Masi

L.
Lucap
Master
Master

Re: Translation Assistance

Postby MLAllegro » 09 Sep 2010, 20:28

Thanks for your help with the translation! I'm sorry for the late reply.

Hmm, it seems that even with this translation that I still have a mystery. I'm still at a loss as to who Albano's mother is. With this letter, it seems that Rachele Masi is his mother and this matching with what my grandmother says. However, I acquired some of his old passports that list his mother's name as Maria Irene Masi. I'm going to have to investigate more.
My known surnames: Allegro, Chinnici, Fidemi, DaVia, Fedon; Areas of interest: Raddusa Sicily, Belluno (Domegge di Cadore, Vallesella di Cadore)
MLAllegro

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations