last name translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
scannavino
Rookie
Rookie

last name translation

Postby scannavino » 02 Sep 2010, 18:06

Hello all!

Does anyone know what the last name "Scannavino" mean?

I know that Vino means "wine" I think....I wonder what the "Scanna" means.....

Grazie tutti :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: last name translation

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Sep 2010, 18:59

According to wordreferece.com ( http://www.wordreference.com/iten/scanno#scanno115 ), 'scanno' is the 1st Person singular present indicative of the verb 'scannare', slaughter in English.

Make of that what you will. Perhaps your ancestor was a drunken butcher. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: last name translation

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Sep 2010, 19:53

Not so far off!!! :-)

From this site:
http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0017c.htm

"Scanavini ha alla base un soprannome emiliano ironico o nome di mestiere Scanavini, formato da 'scanèr' = "scannare" e 'vini', cioè "scanna il vino", riferito a "chi rovina il vino, o che non sa bere bene" oppure a "chi spilla il vino, l'oste."

Scanavino was underlying nickname or the name of the job of Scanavini, consisting of 'Scaner' = 'slay' and 'wine', that is "slaughtering the wine," referring to "those who ruin the wine, or who can not drink well" or "who pin the wine, the host.

Good job Carmine :-D

T.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”