Death record translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Death record translation

Post by maestra36 »

The informants or declarants on a death record may have been relatives or neighbors of the deceased. Sometimes their exact relationship to the deceased is given in the record such as being a son or brother in law of the deceased, etc, but more often their relationship to the deceased is not stated in the record. You may, however, find that the informants were living on the same street as the deceased, if street names are given in the record for all parties involved.

As to witnesses in marriage records though, unlike in death records, you will find that they are individuals who personally know the groom and bride. Often a marriage record will indicate that the witnesses were produced by the groom or bride or both of them.
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KMaryP »

Thank you Maestra.

I have another record that I can't read/translate. Anyone willing to try? I want to decipher:

death location (top left)
deceased's age (something uno)
mother Maria's last name
the very last word, bottom center (it appears on all of the death records I've seen)

Giuseppina Manseuti
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Location you see is a street...Via San Calvi (?) or Santalvi (?)

Child's age is 1 month (mesi uno)

Maria's surname looks like Erme, which is still found in the comune.

Celibe - unmarried (this usually refers to the deceased)

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I agree with T about the child being 1 month and the mother's last name being Erme. I am looking at a current street map of the town and don't see any street name which is close to what the handwriting suggests. The street may have been renamed and therefore not appear on a current map.
Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Though the first letter in the street name doesn't resemble the "g" in Giuseppe...
I think the name of the street is Via Garibaldi...
The "d" resembles the "d" in contadina.

Just a thought... :-)

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I do see via Garibaldi on a current street map for the town, so it is a possibility. You're right though, T, the g is definitely different than the other one. I also think the d is different from the one in contadina, but I do think that the third letter which looks like an n could be an ri as in Patrica, but in the town name you see the dot over the i and I don't see a dot over the one in Garibaldi if, in fact, the third letter is not an n but an r followed by an i.
Peg
KMaryP
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KMaryP »

Thanks, ladies. I believe you're right about mother's last name, Erme. I found another family with the spelling Ermi from the same town.

I'm scanning other records to see if I can find a match for the street. I've run into other instances where a street name was given on a manifest, but the street was renamed.