Help Translating Diversi Document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help Translating Diversi Document

Postby uzzk23a » 30 Sep 2010, 00:56

I would very much appreciate help in translating this document - I believe this is the birth or baptism record of my great-grandfather - Stefano Margiotta, born in or near Sciacca. He was an esposito, so he wasn't in the usual Atti di Nascita, but rather in the Diversi.

I'm trying to understand where he was actually born, anything about the circumstances that caused him to be an esposito, and any clues about who raised him.

Page #1: http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4617 ... irthp1.jpg
The next image was the back of the first page.
Page #2: http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4632/s ... irthp2.jpg

Thank you very much !
Craig Robinson
uzzk23a
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help Translating Diversi Document

Postby maestra36 » 30 Sep 2010, 03:28

This is a birth and baptism record for an abandoned infant.

The birth record is dated Dec 1, 1854 at 2 P.M. in the town of Sciacca, province of Girgenti (this is the old name for the current province of Agrigento). Appearing before the town official was Grazia Maniscalco, age 51, living in this town on Strada Quartiero dei Marinari whose profession was “Pia Ricevitriceâ€
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby uzzk23a » 30 Sep 2010, 03:43

WOW ! Quite a little story !

Thank you *very* much - I realize it was a long, hand-written document and, even though I did the best I could getting a clear image, it wasn't the best. So I really appreciate your time.

I guess I won't be researching that branch of my family tree back any further ! Dead ends happen ...

Thanks again !!!!!
Craig
uzzk23a
Rookie
Rookie

Postby maestra36 » 30 Sep 2010, 11:11

You're very welcome, Craig-
I have the same situation in my paternal grandfather's line except that, in his case, the natural parents married six weeks after he was born and came back to reclaim him when he was 2 yrs and 10 months. A notary then changed his surname to that of the supposed natural father (remember there was no DNA in those days, so this couple appeared at the notary's office in their town, with witnesses to prove who they were, and they described everything they left with their infant and where they had abandoned him. In those days, anything left with an abandoned infant was recorded in the town hall in case the parents did come back to claim the child). Then I did research about his natural parents and each had also been abandoned at 1 day old. My grandfather's mother was a "child of the wheel like your ancestor." So I am at a dead end on both of the parents' lines too. I think all of us have some ancestor who was abandoned after birth. It was a common occurrence in Italy in that period of time.

Glad I was able to help you to understand the record.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations