Names of godparents/relationship?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lilbees
Master
Master

Names of godparents/relationship?

Post by lilbees »

Could someone check this section for the names and possible relationship of each of the godparents?

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... g21849.jpg

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Names of godparents/relationship?

Post by maestra36 »

These are not godparents. This is a state civil birth record and not a church baptism record.

There were two witnesses to the presentation of the infant at the town hall and also these same witnesses were witnesses to the formulation of this birth act.

The first witness was Don Felice Rescigno, age 60, a priest living in the town.

The second witness Don Giuseppe, I can't make out his last name or age, but he was a lawyer living there.

Witnesses to the presentation of the infant to the town officials were normally not relatives. They were just individuals who served as witnesses for whatever infants were being presented and whose births were being recorded.

I think was is throwing you off is the fact that the one witness has the same last name as the infant. He may or may not have been a relative, but if you were to look at the all of the birth records on microfilm for that period of time, more than likely you will find that each record has the same witnesses
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think the age of the second witness is 38.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I know this was part of the civil record. Darn! I was hoping for more. Oh well! Nothing like rereading some of my records in case I missed something. There was a Tommasina Angrisano I thought listed. Probably on another record I was looking at. She was age 70.

Well, moving on. thank you so much for your help.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think the surname of the second witness is Sinicalchi
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Maestra, that is a really different name than I have seen before.

thanks again,
lilbees
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Baptism info on this type of record is in the right column, but there are never godparents given. Sometimes the name of the parish and date that the parish priest administered the sacrament of Baptism. Often it just says Mother Church and the exact name of the church is not given.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You're welcome, libees.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I meant to add that godparents listed in church baptism records are not necessarily relatives. I have seen pages from church baptism record books in which the same witnesses appear on each of the entries for different babies who were baptized.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Wow! Not much of a help. I guess I may not be missing a whole lot without the baptism record. Another of those "the church burned down" problems.

At least the priest was helpful in going into the Stato di Anime for me and finding the listing of births for each of the children I was looking for. That helped, not when writing the comune, but to the Archives. They provided all but one birth record.

Thank you again.
lilbees
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

maestra36 wrote:I think the surname of the second witness is Sinicalchi
Siniscalchi
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks for the correction, Livio. I saw the surname spelled with the c instead of the s on an Ellis Island search and didn't check the spelling in the Italian phonebook, as I normally do.