Translation request

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
zsnyder
Rookie
Rookie

Translation request

Post by zsnyder »

I have copies of the certificate of marriage and birth certificate from my great grandfather's commune but neither have much information.

I located the original files on microfiche:

Antonino Mento birth record page one

Antonino Mento birth record page two

Antonino Mento | Margherita Farfalletta marriage record

I would appreciate it very much if someone could translate these pages for me as I would like to keep searching for information on my ancestors in Monforte San Giorgio.

I also have the original 13 - 16 MB scans if they would be of more help. I can set them up to be downloaded via DropBox.

Thank you!

Zach
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Translation request

Post by maestra36 »

I can't save and enlarge these images in a photo program, so they are difficult to read. Here is what I can read of the marriage record

Dated Oct 3, 1905 Monforte S. Giorgio

Groom: Antonino Mento, age 24, farmhand-son of Giuseppe Mento and Maria Giuseppa Gangemi-born in S. Giorgio

Bride Margherita Farfaletta (not sure of this surname)-age 23, spinner born in Messina of unknown parents

Witnesses:
Antonino Pollicino, age 45, landowner
Giorgio Grillo, age 50, landowner

Marriage publications were made on Sept 22nd and 29th
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

correction to the above

the year should be 1895 and not 1905
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

In looking at the birth record, I don't think I have Antonino's mother's maiden name correct.

The birth record is dated on Sept 25, 1870 at 9 a.m. in the town hall.

Appeared Giuseppe Mento of Leone, age 27, a farmhand living in Villaggio Pelligrino di ? of this town. (I don't see a hamlet or frazione of this town with this name).

He presented a male infant born to his wife on the 24th at 8 P.M. His wife's name Maria Giuseppa Gxxxx of Padre Ignoto. She was of an unknown father. She was living with him in the house of their own habitation in this village.

The infant was given the name Antonino
zsnyder
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zsnyder »

Thank you! Just having Antonino's parents names are a help.

Margherita's surname is Farfalletta as it's listed on the documents from the commune and cross referenced with her name on the ship manifest from her immigration.

Here are links to the original .jpg files if it would help:

marriage record

birth record page one

birth record page two

These scans are rather large but you should be able to download them.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

On the birth record, the surname of Maria Giuseppa (Antonino's mother) looks like Giorgianni and not Gangemi

It was easier to read the original jpg files because they automatically enlarged
zsnyder
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zsnyder »

maestra36 wrote: Appeared Giuseppe Mento of Leone, age 27, a farmhand living in Villaggio Pelligrino di ? of this town. (I don't see a hamlet or frazione of this town with this name).
Looking at a map there is a town called Pelligrino a few kilometers south of Monforte.

I'm also looking for Leone but only come up with Capri Leone (some what near Monforte) and San Leone (near Agrigento). Was it common for town names to change or to disappear all together?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I see in wikipedia that Pellegrino was a frazione of San Giorgio Monforte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monforte_San_Giorgio
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I also see on the town's website that Pellegrino was one of two frazioni or hamlets of S Giorgio Monforte

http://www.comune.monfortesangiorgio.me.it/

click on the option for La Storia and I see it mentioned on the next screen.

I can't account for Leone. I am just translating what the record says.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I am concerned about the discrepancy I see between the mother's maiden name on the two records.
zsnyder
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zsnyder »

Thanks again for your help.

Now that I know Antonino's fathers name and estimated birth year I can request films for a range of dates that he may have married. Maybe in those I can nail down Maria Giuseppa's surname.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

That's definitely what you need to do. I think the birth record above is much clearer than the marriage record concerning the surname of the mother, but it would be good to get another record to confirm which surname is the correct one.