Need help deciphering name on census

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Need help deciphering name on census

Post by DebiHarbuck »

What do you make of the name of the person on line 88 (designated as "mother")? She is indexed as Apolito, Arice.

http://postimage.org/image/2495v66uc/
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Need help deciphering name on census

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It seems to me that it says Apolita, Arice.

The Italian telephone directory does not list any Apolita's, however there is a single listing in the US - in Smithtown, NY - at whitepages.com ( http://www.whitepages.com/dir/a-z/apolita ).

I'm not finding much for Arice.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

There are some entries at Ellis Island and Castle Garden for "Appolito" and "Appolita"...a misspelling is probable given the family she is indexed with is listed as "Lione" rather than "Leone" (which is their name).

I haven't a clue what "Arice" might be though.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Her name may be written backwards on the census. Apolita may have been her first name and the last name may have been Arici but written with an "e" at the end instead of an "i" on the census.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

I had considered that. She'd be the only one on the page, though...see the baby just below her? Cabrezia, Rose (that baby is also a mystery...a "boarder" who is a year old?)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The reason I suggested the name being reversed is that on my husband's grandfather's one census, he was the only one on the page with his name reversed. Also they had misspelled his last name so badly that I don't know how I even eventually found him.

I have to go back and look more closely at the census you posted to see about the baby.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 0001ri.htm

ARICE
ARICI
ARISE
ARISI

Arise, che sembrerebbe dovuto ad un'errata trascrizione di Arisi, è milanese,

Arise, which must have been a transcription error of Arisi, is Milanese
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

probabilmente derivano tutti dal nome medioevale di origine franca Aricius o Arrichus,

probably all derived from the medieval name of French origin Aricius or Arrichus
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

maestra36 wrote:The reason I suggested the name being reversed is that on my husband's grandfather's one census, he was the only one on the page with his name reversed. Also they had misspelled his last name so badly that I don't know how I even eventually found him.

I have to go back and look more closely at the census you posted to see about the baby.
I have the exact same situation with one of my paternal grandparents' censuses. Grandfather's given name, Giuseppe, became surname Jessup. Took me forever to locate that particular census!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think now that, in this case, the Arice is the surname and that it could have originally been spelled as Arici
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

on virgilio.it, I see one person who comes up with a facebook listing whose first name is Apolita, but her last name is Ruiz, not an Italian last name
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

as to the baby, the family must have had it in its care and that is why it is listed as a boarder. It didn't have a family defined relationship to the head of the household. Other than that explanation, I really don't know what to say about the baby
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

maestra36 wrote:The reason I suggested the name being reversed is that on my husband's grandfather's one census, he was the only one on the page with his name reversed. Also they had misspelled his last name so badly that I don't know how I even eventually found him.
I've had a few like that as well. :)

Any and all ideas are welcome as this particular nuclear family is just a hot mess. Some of the children listed, for example, are not <i>Leone</i> at all, but rather DeSanti/DiSanto/Desantis/Desanto (take your pick!) and others are Leone and some - like baby Andrew - were raised as Leone but may or may not have been. This census is the earliest record I have of any of them (I also have the 1905 Manhattan census, and the 1910 and 1920 federal censuses) and - I am hoping - has the most accurate immigration dates.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I just found one person on Ellis Island with the surname spelled Arice'

with an apostrophe at the end
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thanks again! I'll do some digging on both names and see what I come up with.