duplicate marriage annotations

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

duplicate marriage annotations

Post by oilman19 »

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/4183 ... pebirt.jpg

I am showing the above image as an example of duplicate marriage annotations on birth records in S.M.

I have seen these for a while when viewing my documents.

Would anyone know if this was common practice in other towns and, more important, why it was done?

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: duplicate marriage annotations

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
I don't recall ever seeing a marriage notation in duplicate. I also wonder why only the second marriage is in duplicate, but not the first which is written across the top of the document.
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg,

I doubt there is any significance to the 2nd marriage being duplicated.

I have, however, struggled through a marriage annotation, only to discover that I had just struggled through the same annotation elsewhere on the document. I have not found any pattern. It seems quite random. But, it has happened often enough to get my attention.

Strange, isn't it? :?

I guess i would rather have it in duplicate than not at all. :)
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Well, Jim, the good thing about the notation being in duplicate is that, if you can't decipher one of them, then hopefully the other is written more clearly and you can decipher it. I'll have to do some research to see if there was any significance to the notation being duplicated. I have never noticed anything like this before.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The notation on the side was written later than the other notation and does give you the record number (number 37). So that is nice additional info to have.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Just a thought.

I didn't notice the dates the 2 annotations were recorded. Is it possible that it might be something simple like someone didn't like the location of the 1st annotation and just moved it to a better spot?
Were there rules about where these annotations were to be placed?
I'm just thinking out loud.
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
I honestly don't know about any rules determining where notations were written on documents. I've had documents with notations written on the sides and across the top and bottom too, but I don't recall them being duplicate notations. The notation at the top and the one under the right column were written by the same town official. The one at the left appears to have a different signature. I don't know if there is any significance to that or not. I don't see any title for the official whose signature is with the notation on the left.
Peg