Help translating letters please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Help translating letters please

Post by cerg »

Hello,

I would like some help in translating 3 old family letters that are written in Italian. I have scanned them to my computer so that I can email them to anyone that is willing to help me. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Best Regards,
Kristina
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help translating letters please

Post by cerg »

I'm not sure if I am posting these correctly or not but I thought I would give it a try.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Your files probably exceed this site's size limits.

Instead, try an image-hosting site like http://www.postimage.org

Click the browse button to find the file on your computer, then click Upload It! (leave "Do Not Resize Image" and "Family Safe"). After the upload completes, click the "Copy to Clipboard" button to the right of "Thumbnail for Forums (1)". Now, come back to this forum and paste the link into a message.

Repeat for additional files.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

I tried uploading to the site you told me about and it keeps telling me that there is no decode delagate for this image format. Any idea why it woud say this? The files that I am uploading are pdf files, not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Doesn't seem to be working... :-(

Can you re-save files as .jpg?

Then try uploading to www.imageshack.com

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

T.
When you click on the links provided, at the bottom of the box, on the right you can find "Save file to your PC: click here".

btw I have uploaded a .jpg image to imageshack

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3074 ... tolo2n.jpg
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Livio: Thank you for the help with my link!

Are any of you guys able to help me with the translation of this letter?

Thanks Again,

Krisitina
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

liviomoreno wrote:T.
When you click on the links provided, at the bottom of the box, on the right you can find "Save file to your PC: click here".

btw I have uploaded a .jpg image to imageshack

I should have figured that out :oops:

Thanks, Livio! :-)

T.
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cherry »

Ponte della Castellina 5 Sept (Aug?) 1935

My dearest brother,
with the present letter I want you to know that I'm very fine and so I hope about you and your family.
It's been quite a while that I'm waiting for your reply, since I was at home on permit for our poor mother death, and before even, since I've written you just as this mischance happend (I've taken some licenses because the Italian is gramatically and sintactically wrong-TN), but I'm still waiting your reply although I made my address reach you by the sister in law Lisa and in these days I've received from her a letter in which she says about you, that you was asking (wondering?) (literally: desideravi di me = wish about me. I've supposed something like nostalgia or asking questions about...) and in fact I've learned from her that you have even become father for the sixth time (this all paragraph sounds bitter-TN) lots and lots of congratulations to you, Linda and the newborn.
From here you ask if I'd gone to Africa, I've made an application to go there, but I'm not suitable for Africa, to my most disconfort/regret, if I were suitable I would be down (meaning in Africa; Mussolini was campaigning for what was left of Ethiopia, to build our "Empire" in 1935-36-TN) for days now.
You don't ask me about our brother Fran(can't understand the name-TN), I wrote him when the poor mother had died, and he answered me after a month and a half or so, but I haven't replied to him yet, and I won't do it, because his letter, for the manner in which it was written, doesn't deserve an answer.
Dear brother, I don't have other news to tell you, I send to you and your family many greetings, a lot of greetings to your wife and your little newborn.
Your broher forever,
Antonio

(Then a sort of PS)
Are you still in touch with Luigino MenXXXgrossi's (sorry, I'm not for names!TN) family?

Questo è il mio indirizzo
To the Carabiniere
Gerxxxx Antonio
Stazione dei Reali Carabinieri (?)
Granarolo per (to) Ponte della Castellina
Ravenna
Italy
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Cherry: Thank you very much for your help!!

As I said in my first post I have 3 of these letters here are the links to the second one. Thank you guys for helping with this!

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6748/page1bf.jpg

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/7226/page2gt.jpg

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4536/page3t.jpg

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/862/page4m.jpg

Hopefully these work :)

Kristina
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cherry »

Hi Kristina,
I am experiencing some difficulties in put them in order. Because the last image seems to come from a different letter...
Seems to me that the first and the 4th are consequential, but I can't say aboutthe 2nd and 3rd.

Flo
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Not sure why that would be, all the pages are on the same letter. Could it be possible that the pages are just in the wrong order? Maybe they wrote on the front, then the back, and then the two pages in the middle?

Kristina
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cherry »

Dear brother in law and family,
with this letter I would like you to know that I've received your letter some days ago and it found me and all the family in good health, and so I hope you are in good health too, since the sister in law was in so bad conditions, we all hope that now she's recovering and we really wish her well. Me too decided to do that surgery to my liver for almost a year, but now I'm not so bad, so I'm considering go ahead just as I am (TN: a dialectal expression is used "fin che la va la va" it's very common in all Northern Italy).
So you think you might see again (us? it's not specify any object-TN), then it would be a really nice day meet again after (END OF PAGE ONE-I CONTINUE WITH PAGE 4) so many years, just think about father's joy, especially, in seeing his son again after so long. We don't know anything about your brother Franz, just a few days ago Mattia (?) was interrogated by the Carabinieri about where he might have been,but who knows?, already 5 years has passed and nothing from him, if he's alive or dead -let's hope not.
Brother Toni writes me saying he hasn't receive any from you, and asks me to greet you and to give his address: Al Carabiniere Antonio CergnXXX
Alla Stazione C.C. R.R. Monfalcono (Monfalcone probably?TN) Cantiere Navale Provincia di Trieste.
(START PAGE 2)
So I will tell you about our lives, there's enough work, although food is quite expensive, so far it's been cold, I can't recall another year in which you must wear a coat in early June, yes now anyway it's been quite hot for a couple of days, the "campagna" (could meaning "Countryside" but also a particular "campaign" for example picking up tomatoes, onions and so on, depending on the season-TN) is no good, nothing is growing, and what can we do, us that are just poor people, it always goes bad, patience, we're in God's hands. Dear brother in law, father ask you - if you'll have the chance- to send along a photo of you all in the family, for we like to know you all, since I don't even know you, but it's not necessary if it means sacrifying too much for you just for our curiosity, if it's possible then Yes, if not, no. For I believe that photographs are expensive.
(START PAGE 3)
By now we don't have anymore news apart the old story about Capeliza.
For now we say good by, me, Mattia (?), father and the children
many greetings xxx xxx (can't understand:di Messe barba Sime)
always your sister in law Elsa CergnXX
To Negozio Commestibili Scappazzi Albrona

When you'll write tell us about your wife, many greetings to her and the children too
(ON THE LEFT SIDE)
Greetings from niece Iole,
Giulia
Mario/a (can't say because it ends with the paper-TN)
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cherry »

It's not so easy because her italian was very poor and, on the other hand, the letter is rich of dialectal expressions and terms.

I hope that it souds clearer to you, anyway.
>Good night,
Flo