Translation of civil record please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of civil record please

Post by didozo »

Could someone translate the notes at the end of this record?

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6451/img004k.jpg

Do these notes provide any information about a previous marriage and child?

Thank you.
Diana
Searching: Allenza -Villalba/Valledolmo, Marsala -Villalba, Trapani-Mistretta, and Mirra/Filippelli- Domanico, Benevento
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translation of civil record please

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Diana :-)

Any way you can get a clearer image? The writing is so blurred, and only gets worse as it is enlarged... :-(

T.
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by didozo »

Hi Tessa
I'll try this week to get a better copy of that.

These papers were also included in the group of papers pertaining to this marriage. It included the 2 banns, the final marriage notice, the birth records from the birth towns of each person, and for Giovanni, these 2 forms from his birth commune. I can't translate all of these two and I think I'm losing something in the translation. Maybe these have some hints.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5444/img002rh.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6114/img003sv.jpg
Searching: Allenza -Villalba/Valledolmo, Marsala -Villalba, Trapani-Mistretta, and Mirra/Filippelli- Domanico, Benevento
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Diana

The first image comes from the comune of Villalba, Province and District of Caltanisetta.
It seems to be a Certificate of Free State of Giovanni

From the Office of Civil registrations, it indicates that they searched the existing marriage records of the comune and did not see a contract for marriage of Giovanni Allenza, son of Antonio and of Onofria Esposta. It also states that there is no notation on his birth act.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Now the second image seems to contain the same information (about finding no marriage contract for Giovanni - indicating he is free to marry)

But, mother's name is Onofria Rizzo. Later there seems to be a sentence that this request was by his father. It is dated 15 April 1903. (before the above mentioned certificate, which was date 29 October 1904.)

I hope someone else will take a look and confirm or correct :-)

T.
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by didozo »

That's what I thought these were - verifying that they couldn't find any civil record showing he was married.

I think the second one was because original her name was originally Esposito and according to their marriage cft her parents were unknown but in 1894 there was update in the birth records of all their children with her last name being Rizzo or vice versa. I'm still trying to get good copies of all these from the films.

The only record or reference that he was already married was on Giovanni's son's birth cft of being church (ecceliastically - sp) married to another woman. I didn't find any civil records either of the first marriage.

So what I what I have found is that he had a church marriage and son with one woman in one town and 7 years later had a civil marriage with another woman in another town. He also considered himself married(according to immigration records) before this second marriage.

How does that work?

Diana
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by didozo »

PS - Have not been able to find the civil record of the 1st marriage, death record of 1st wife/mother, remarriage of 1st wife, immigration of 1st wife/mother, death of 1st wife/mother in USA. So I can't prove anything past she was the mother of a son from Giovanni and where she was born.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

but in 1894 there was update in the birth records
This is noted in the first document, but I think the date is 1874

As for the church marriage, it would not have been recognized by the civil authorities. Only a civil marriage would do "legally" :-)

It would be interesting if you could find a death record for the first wife...

T.