Requesting Translation for Death Record Surname: Maimone

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Requesting Translation for Death Record Surname: Maimone

Post by TriciaFierro »

I believe that I found Eleanora Maimone's death record from Roccanova. If so this is actually my great-great-great-great grandmother, or 6th generations removed :o

http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view. ... gskw=&cr=1

That is an ancestry link so if unable to view it here is another from Image Shack:

http://yfrog.com/epeleanoramaimonedeathrecj

Thank you!
- Tricia
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Requesting Translation for Death Record Surname: Maimone

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Tricia :-)

This is a death record (#58), dated 9(?) October 1887
For Eleanora Maimone, age 70, unmarried, peasant farmer
Parents unknown.
Died 6 AM on the day before.

Declaration of the death was made by Nicola Grillo, 42, blacksmith, and Fabio Pasquale, 49, peasant farmer.

T.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

You are great, T!

Was it 1887 or 1867 because the record on Ancestry says 1867 so I just wanted to confirm which it was.

No mention of any children? I am assuming since this town is small and Maimone is not a laregely popular name that this was Antonio Maimone's mother and Prospero Maimone's grandmother, but without any children lesited is there a way to be sure?

Prospero's marrige record did note that Antonio's mother's name was Eleanora. I have that marriage record posted on the Italian Genealogy forum (not sure if you saw that one or not). Thanks again! :)

- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

As Tessa indicated, the date of this record is 09 OCT 1887. However, it also states that Eleanora was never married. Note the word "nubile." This may mean an unmarried woman, but in my experience it is most often used to describe a woman who has never been married. A woman who had been married, but her husband had predeceased her, would be called "vedova" or widow. Of course, it might be an error by the informant or transcriber. However, it is a red flag absent other evidence.
John Armellino
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Since Prospero's father was listed as "ignoto" on his birth act, it is, in fact, possible (maybe even likely?) that his mother never married, yes?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

[quote="TriciaFierro"]You are great, T!

I am assuming since this town is small and Maimone is not a largely popular name

Tricia
I am guessing, and if you search through all the town records, you will probably find that yours is the only family with the Maimone surname. It was probably a surname invented by a town official for the oldest ancestor with this surname. It was common, in some towns, for all foundlings to be assigned surnames which indicated that they were foundlings like, for example, the surnames Esposito and Trovatelli. In other towns, however, abandoned children were assigned different surnames and no one else in the town would then have these surnames. So, in the case of my paternal grandfather, he had an invented surname at birth. The town official was assigning the abandoned children born before and after him surnames that were variations in spelling of each other. Then when his parents reclaimed him, when he was almost three, a town notary changed his surname to that of his supposed natural father (the man who came forward with his wife and said, before witnesses, that he was the natural father). But then I found the birth records of both of my grandfather's parents and both had been abandoned at birth as well and had made up surnames. So then my grandfather and his father were the only two people in the town with their surname. His mother was the only one with hers.
Peg
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Peg, that is truly amazing! And to the fact that these records exist and we can locate them is even more so! I was figuring I hit a brick with Stella Orientale in my family tree, but according to what you found with you grandfather I might still find some records on her during childhood that reveal more about who she was. there is always a chance I guess! Thanks for sharing you stories and expertise :)

- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Tricia
I should clarify and tell you that, in the margin of my grandfather's birth record, which basically was a description of his abandonment, like Stella's, there was a notation with the names of the natural parents and the date of recognition by them. That enabled me to then find their act of recognition which the town notary had prepared. Since there is no such notation on Stella's record, I would assume that her natural parents never came back to reclaim her. Most abandoned children were never reclaimed; many did not even live that long-some died within the first month of birth. So you probably will not find the additional info I found.
Peg
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Peg.
Thanks for letting me know about the notation. Lucky for us and all future generations, Stella not only survived but went on to have 8 children of her own and lived util the age of 88! :)

- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Hi my name is Chris from NY. I wandered accross this thread and couldnt resist to reply.Even though I realize this was written several months ago.

My heritage also comes from Roccanova. My 4th great grandmother Angela Margherita Maimone Born -Roccanova 1839 -Died Roccanova 1915
Her mother was Maria Maimone Born 1812-1850.
Is there a connection somehow? I really do not know. But I've been to Roccanova before and its a very small town. I do have some other documents relating to Maimone that were aquired from Archivo Di Stato Di Potenza about 10 years ago..... I never really researched the name Maimone further. I was going for my surname in Roccanova first..
Let me know if your still out there... K
Have a great evening..
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Hi Chris from NY! I'm Tricia from PA! And I am still out here! :)
I am assuming that there almost has to be a connection because Maimone is not a common name especially from the same town of Roccanova. Here is what I have verfied so far:
My great-grandmother was Mary Maimone(1895-1988)daughter of Prospero(1869-1939). Prospero was the son of Antonio Maimone (B 1842-D?)And Antonio was the son of Eleanora Maimone, whom I discussed earlier in this thread. Her birth record was found under 1867 records but when the good folks here translated it they say her death occurred in 1887. Do you have any info that fits with what I have given you here? Talk soon., Thank you! Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

TriciaFierro wrote:Hi Chris from NY! I'm Tricia from PA! And I am still out here! :)
I am assuming that there almost has to be a connection because Maimone is not a common name especially from the same town of Roccanova. Here is what I have verfied so far:
My great-grandmother was Mary Maimone(1895-1988)daughter of Prospero(1869-1939). Prospero was the son of Antonio Maimone (B 1842-D?)And Antonio was the son of Eleanora Maimone, whom I discussed earlier in this thread. Her birth record was found under 1867 records but when the good folks here translated it they say her death occurred in 1887. Do you have any info that fits with what I have given you here? Talk soon., Thank you! Tricia

I double-checked this again, Tricia...
It is definitely 1887 :-)
The images on Ancestry begin with 1867...
At page 17 (of the Ancestry images) you find the first page of the death records for 1887. The book was opened by the official on 14 December 1886. What follows (beginning with Act #1) are the Atti di Morte for 1887.

T.
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Hi Tricia from PA! How are you? Just as you said Im sure somewhere there is a connection. I just havent put my finger on it as of yet..of actually how... But I am really curious!

I really need to go through some records and sort some things out with the Maimone Surname... As I mentioned in my first post I never really followed it further...
What I do know is

ancestry death record: 1915
http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view. ... rte.1915.7

Ancestry Marrage record 1882
http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view. ... nio.1882.2

I also have Vincenzo Giraffi & Angela Maimone Marrage record 1858(not scanned into my computer It give Angela Margherita Maimone mother as Maria Maimone....

I have several other documents with the Maimone surname.. Alot I have never made a connection with..... The closest one I have which may or may not be related to you and myself(I am not sure) Is a birth record from 1813 of a Maria Eleonora Maimone Her father was Andrea Maimone age 42 And Mother Margherita Lallotta age 40 wow for 1813 that is amazing...
Ill try to get this document scanned up here shortly..

I also have access to the other roccanova documents 1809-1865 at the FHC locally...

Lets figure this all out..

Just bare with me My italian is poor at best....

Chris
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Aw, Tessa! thank you for double checking, but you didn't have to go to that trouble! I knew you were correct...lol! :lol:

But thank you for the kind gesture. Happy to be back at it! I hit the motherload in one of my lines today and worked on it all day long. It's been great fun! :mrgreen:
Talk soon,
Tricia
Tricia Fierro
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Chris, I saw that you replied to me on another thread here so I will get back to you on that one since it is the most recent. :)
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro