Baptism in Latin

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rwelgin1
Rookie
Rookie

Baptism in Latin

Post by rwelgin1 »

I was wondering if there was someone that might be able to translate this baptismal record for one of my ggg grandfathers from Latin to English for me, please?
My ancestor is Pietro Sebastiani baptisted on Jan 29, 1755. I think it names his father as Nicoli Sebastiani.
It is the 4th listing on the enclosed page.

Thank you,
Rick
Lucap
Master
Master

Re: Baptism in Latin

Post by Lucap »

In italian (I hope someone will translate for you)

:? Difficile da interpretare perché la foto non è chiara. Io ci leggo:

Il giorno 29 gennaio 1755
Pietro figlio legittimo di Nicola del fu Nicola Sebastiani di Palludio(?) e di Maria nata Ronet(?) xxx fu battezzata da me compadre Grego come sopra. Padrini il signor Pietro figlio di Giovanni(?) Sebastiani in nome di Pietro Antonnio del fu Giovanni xxx da Pergine(?) e Lucia figlia di Simone Brugnara, questi di Verla(?) e lei di Palludio(?)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I am translating what Luca typed in Italian, but quite frankly, a lot of it doesn't make sense to me.

Day 29 of January 1755
Pietro, legitimate son of Nicola of deceased Nicola Sebastiani of Palludio (?) and Maria born Ronet (?) xxx was baptized by me, compadre Grego as above. Godparents Mr Peter son of Giovanni (?) Sebastiani in name of Peter Anthony of deceased Giovanni xxx from Pergine (?) and Lucia daughter of Simone Brugnara, these of Verla(?) and she of Palludio(?)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There is a frazione or hamlet called Verla-

Verla, comune of Giovo - province: Trento - region: Trentino-Alto Adige

Verla-town of Giovo, province of Trento, in the Trentino-Alto Adige region
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There is a town called Pergine Valsugana, province: Trento - region: Trentino Alto-Adige
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Maybe the latin term Palludis means (in italian) "delle paludi" (of the marshes, living near the marshes) and not "di Palludio". I saw a capital P and I did think it was a town, but Pergine is near a lake, and I think that it was possible that in those days there were marshy lands in the neighbourhood of Pergine.

L.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Luca
This poster has another thread on the forum in which he mentions a death in Palu`. I was wondering if Palludio had somehow been shortened to that.

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/Forums/ ... 19310.html

Peg
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Palù is at about 100 km from Pergine... too much (for me).
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks, Luca.
Peg
rwelgin1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rwelgin1 »

Thank you all! This is great. Now I just need to find the marriage record to validate that this is my Pietro.
If this is my Pietro, this would take my Sebastiani's back to the beginning of the 17th century.
I am still waiting on another film from the LDS. Hope that that film fills in the blanks.

Thank you again,
Rick