bambino's apparel

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
italianashville

bambino's apparel

Postby italianashville » 24 Nov 2010, 21:51

My grandfather's 1885 birth record includes a description of his apparel. The phrases "un panno di acira" and "una cinta di vagramma" are clearly written. Are "acira" and "vagramma" archaic or dialectic terms? What do they refer to?
Also, does the margin entry refer to his baptism date? This is the only part of the birth record I'm unable to translate.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: bambino's apparel

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Nov 2010, 22:03

I am not even going to try to decipher the text but I will say that a birth record which includes a description of clothing is probably for a foundling infant; one that was abandoned by his mother at an orphanage, a church, the doorstep of a well-to-do resident, etc.

The clothing and other circumstances were described in the record on the chance that the mother or father may some day have second thoughts and wish to reclaim the child.

Perhaps you should post the entire record for a full translation.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

italianashville

Postby italianashville » 24 Nov 2010, 22:58

Thanks Carmine. As I stated, the only untranslated text involves the two phrases and the margin entry, which begins "visto .... . nove Maggio 1885."
My grandfather's foundling status is documented by the words "ruota dei proietti" in the first line of the birth record continuation.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 26 Nov 2010, 18:39

I have been searching for a couple of years for Giovanni Orsini (Osenni) born around the same time who was also a foundling. Can you tell me the name of the town?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

italianashville

Postby italianashville » 26 Nov 2010, 21:43

The deputy secretary to the mayor of Agnone, Campbasso apparently named grandpa after Pope Nicholas III (Giovanni Gaetani Orsini). His balia may have offered Angelo as a middle name, since her deceased father was named Giovannangelo.

Grandpa went by "Orsine," and his thick Italian accent resulted in at least one picture ID bearing the name "John Olsen." But I've yet to find any documentation for his being known as "Osenni."

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”