Translation letter from State

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Translation letter from State

Postby tula » 03 Dec 2010, 19:42

Hi,
I want to do this right, so, I received an answer to my inquiry about a birth record from Stato di Cosenza. I used Google translator to aid in translation. I don't understand the instructions.
"Suggeriamo di inviare L'importo di euro 0.93 in busta chiusa all'interno di un foglietto ripiegato per evitare che il contenuto si veda all'esterno e possa essere sottratto."
How do they want this sent? In a sealed envelope with a piece of paper folded so that the content is seen on the outside? Do they want an envelope inside the addressed envelope. Do they want a self addressed envelope?
Please can you help me, this is important I do it right because I hope to send for more Civil records.
How should I send the Euros? Cash? It's not that much, is that how it's done?
Can I assume they have the documents if they are replying to my request?
Thank you for any help you can give me
tula

Re: Translation letter from State

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 Dec 2010, 22:26

I have found that the various state archives (including Archivio di Stato di Cosenza with which I have personal experience) often mail out the requested documents the same day they send the request for payment. So, there is a good chance that you will receive the documents even if you do nothing.

Having said that, please note that the smallest euro bill is the €5 note; for smaller amounts you will need to send coins. In cases where the amount I owed was over €3, I just sent a well-wrapped €5 note. For smaller amounts I placed a few €1 coins in a coin envelope then placed that in a larger envelope. To avoid confusion, I include a copy of the original request for payment and mark it "Tenere il resto!" (Keep the change!).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Translation letter from State

Postby tula » 06 Dec 2010, 15:30

Thank you for your advice, I had trouble finding a bank that would order euros and the teller suggested I go to a kiosk next time I was in an airport and save the $10 shipping fee. In my situation, I chose to order them from the bank because it would be a 45 min to an hour drive and at lest $5 parking at any airport.
The euros are in 5 euro bills and I have no problem sending more than the requested amount. . Actually, it’s a bargain. I pay $20 a piece for non-certified copies of records at my LOCAL Register of Deeds! I think I will also go down to the post office and have my self-address envelope stamp with what ever postage they use in Italy. Wish me luck. Thank you again.
looking for the names from Cosenza:Sturino. Ruffolo, Dattilo, Perri, Gentile,Crispino, Savaglio,Marino, Alfano, Molinaro, Bilotto and Bartella. And Padula,Buonomo,Bellizi from Brindisi.
tula

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations