Translation letter from State

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
tula

Translation letter from State

Postby tula » 03 Dec 2010, 18:42

Hi,
I want to do this right, so, I received an answer to my inquiry about a birth record from Stato di Cosenza. I used Google translator to aid in translation. I don't understand the instructions.
"Suggeriamo di inviare L'importo di euro 0.93 in busta chiusa all'interno di un foglietto ripiegato per evitare che il contenuto si veda all'esterno e possa essere sottratto."
How do they want this sent? In a sealed envelope with a piece of paper folded so that the content is seen on the outside? Do they want an envelope inside the addressed envelope. Do they want a self addressed envelope?
Please can you help me, this is important I do it right because I hope to send for more Civil records.
How should I send the Euros? Cash? It's not that much, is that how it's done?
Can I assume they have the documents if they are replying to my request?
Thank you for any help you can give me

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Translation letter from State

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 Dec 2010, 21:26

I have found that the various state archives (including Archivio di Stato di Cosenza with which I have personal experience) often mail out the requested documents the same day they send the request for payment. So, there is a good chance that you will receive the documents even if you do nothing.

Having said that, please note that the smallest euro bill is the €5 note; for smaller amounts you will need to send coins. In cases where the amount I owed was over €3, I just sent a well-wrapped €5 note. For smaller amounts I placed a few €1 coins in a coin envelope then placed that in a larger envelope. To avoid confusion, I include a copy of the original request for payment and mark it "Tenere il resto!" (Keep the change!).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

tula

Re: Translation letter from State

Postby tula » 06 Dec 2010, 14:30

Thank you for your advice, I had trouble finding a bank that would order euros and the teller suggested I go to a kiosk next time I was in an airport and save the $10 shipping fee. In my situation, I chose to order them from the bank because it would be a 45 min to an hour drive and at lest $5 parking at any airport.
The euros are in 5 euro bills and I have no problem sending more than the requested amount. . Actually, it’s a bargain. I pay $20 a piece for non-certified copies of records at my LOCAL Register of Deeds! I think I will also go down to the post office and have my self-address envelope stamp with what ever postage they use in Italy. Wish me luck. Thank you again.
looking for the names from Cosenza:Sturino. Ruffolo, Dattilo, Perri, Gentile,Crispino, Savaglio,Marino, Alfano, Molinaro, Bilotto and Bartella. And Padula,Buonomo,Bellizi from Brindisi.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”