Online Translators

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Crissco

Online Translators

Postby Crissco » 12 Dec 2010, 16:12

Whats the more correct translator for italian - english and english - italian? I noticed a lot them arent always correct

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Online Translators

Postby liviomoreno » 12 Dec 2010, 16:47

It has not been invented yet...

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 12 Dec 2010, 17:00

I agree with Livio. Any of the translators I have ever seen are really bad. I can read Spanish, for example, but have never formally studied the language. So, when I found cousins in Argentina, I tried sending letters and emails in Spanish using online translators. They told me to stick to writing to them in English, as they understood my English but not the Spanish that the online translators were giving me.

Crissco

Postby Crissco » 12 Dec 2010, 17:02

maestra36 wrote:I agree with Livio. Any of the translators I have ever seen are really bad. I can read Spanish, for example, but have never formally studied the language. So, when I found cousins in Argentina, I tried sending letters and emails in Spanish using online translators. They told me to stick to writing to them in English, as they understood my English but not the Spanish that the online translators were giving me.

Damn never knew they were that bad. Thanks for the answers

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bette » 11 Feb 2011, 00:07

I have used the translators for a long time. Here is the trick...you need to keep the sentences simple, no run-on sentences, for sure! It also helps to have an English - Italian / Italian - English dictionary handy. So, if you suspect the wrong translation for one of your words, you can check your dictionary. Then you can either use a different word or revise your sentence. Whenever I write to anyone in a foreign country, whether it be in South America or Italy, I always include the English version, as well as the other language. Since so many have studied English or know someone who can read English, this may be helpful, in case the translator wasn't that accurate, after all. Most recently I have been using "Google" Language Tools. I think it is better than the rest. "Language Tools" is located to the right of the box on the Google home page.

ddavino

Postby ddavino » 04 Mar 2011, 23:38

I would also agree with everyone; sometimes you just need a good old pesky human! The translation programs, even the best of them are mostly lexical. It's easy to translate simple S-V-O sentences like "The boys are playing in the garden". It becomes more and more tough as the language used becomes more idiomatic - which is how we most often speak. Living language tends to be full of idiomatic structures that fail miserably with translation tools. Imagine if you entered "How are you?" - something that simple fails the translation test. Recasting sentences as Bette mentions to its most simple, straightforward language sometimes helps. If I have to use a translation tool, I try to structure the English I want translated as closely to the target language as I am able. Doesn't always work though... hence, the need for a human. I have always been surprised if I contact a local university and talk to someone in the department which houses my language, I can usually find a Ph. D. or Master's level student who will be very happy to help out for free or for a small fee. Worth it 99% of the time. The help that I see other Forum members giving each other is also very encouraging. Just a few thoughts.

ddavino@cypresscollege.edu
(714) 392-6300

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 05 Mar 2011, 06:47

There are two types of translation:
1 - From your native language to a foreign language. In this case you can structure the sentences as simple as possible and on-line translators may some times help.
2 - From a foreign language to your native language. In this case the result is completely unpredictable and only a human being can help

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”