Italian Movies with English Subtitles

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Crissco

Italian Movies with English Subtitles

Post by Crissco »

Anyone know of something good? Pref action movies
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Italian Movies with English Subtitles

Post by maestra36 »

I don't know the answer to your question, but I found the following website with a list of Italian films with English subtitles. Maybe something on the list will strike your fancy.

http://www.multilingualbooks.com/foreignvids-ital.html
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJP1812 »

Don't forget Cinema Paradiso! You might be able to find a version in Italian with English Subtitles. I have only seen the dubbed English version.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

DJP1812 wrote:Don't forget Cinema Paradiso! You might be able to find a version in Italian with English Subtitles. I have only seen the dubbed English version.
Just LOVE Cinema Paradiso! One of my favorites...and won an Academy Award in 1989!!! I rent it for free from my local library and it is in Italian. Supposedly about Vittorio De Sica :-)

Also great Ladri di Biciclette which was directed by Vittorio De Sica.

T.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Not an action movie but you might like The Golden Door, Italian title Nuovomondo. Copy might be available through your local library. I borrowed my copy that way. It was in Italian with English subtitles. Especially interesting was the portrayal of the conditions in steerage and the processes at Ellis Island.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

One of my favorites (not action though) is Divorizio all' Italiana, hilarious. La Dolce Vita is also worth the watch. I just picked up Una Giornata Particolare and am looking forward to watching it. Really, anything with Marcello Mastroianni is worth a try. Another good one is La Vita e Bella, but it is rather depressing... Honestly, I can't think of a single "action" movie in Italian that I've seen. I'm sure they have them. If your just looking to work on your Italian Language skills and want something with action to entertain you, you can always get an American movie dubbed in Italian, all the major ones have been dubbed and released in Italy (Italians don't seem to care for subtitles)- of course you'd need a region free DVD player.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cherry »

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote:One of my favorites (not action though) is Divorizio all' Italiana, hilarious. La Dolce Vita is also worth the watch. I just picked up Una Giornata Particolare and am looking forward to watching it. Really, anything with Marcello Mastroianni is worth a try. Another good one is La Vita e Bella, but it is rather depressing... Honestly, I can't think of a single "action" movie in Italian that I've seen. I'm sure they have them. If your just looking to work on your Italian Language skills and want something with action to entertain you, you can always get an American movie dubbed in Italian, all the major ones have been dubbed and released in Italy (Italians don't seem to care for subtitles)- of course you'd need a region free DVD player.
Una giornata particolare is a very very fine movie. First time I've seen it at school, for my history teacher wanted to show us the setting of it during Hitler's visit to Rome in 1938, the "domicilio coatto" rules and so on. There's a wonderfully aged Sophia Loren, and a particular cameo of her real nephew (daughter of her sister Maria Scicolone) Alessandra Mussolini, who is also Benito Mussolini grandaughter (she plays Sophia's character's daughter).

You might enjoy "Mediterraneo", by Gabriele Salvatores, another Academy winner.

Then, again with Marcello and Sophia, you can see if you haven't yet: "Ieri, Oggi e Domani". Made by 3 episodes, they play wonderfully 3 different kind of "italian situations" at the beginning of the sixties: first in Naples, Second in Rome and third in Milan.
I personally don't like Fellini, except his Amarcord.

About action movies: I don't think our cinema indutries ever produced one... best approximation are the Spaghetti Western, but they are in English, originally I suppose.
Cheers
Flo
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

A more recently made Italian language movie, directed by Marco Armenta, is La sicilianna ribelle (English title - The Sicilian Girl). It is a crime/drama based on a true story...
Released August of 2010, so not sure if it's in DVD release as yet. You may want to check your local independent or foreign film theaters.

See info at this site...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213926/

T.
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

Not an action movie but one of my favourites is Il Postino.

I recently watched Pranzo Di Ferragosto and thought it was quite a sweet and funny film - It might be a bit gentle for an action movie fan!