Confused about last name of groom

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
14 posts • Page 1 of 1

Confused about last name of groom

Postby lilbees » 13 Dec 2010, 17:23

I am attaching the marriage record for Carmela Fiumara and Gaetano Vito/Eito.

Since the groom was born in Castellammare di Stabia I went to look for his birth record. Nothing in the indexes and then I realized I was not positive about the spelling of his last name.

I searched under Vito and then under Eito. I finally searched years 1865 thru 1870 looking for any Gaetano with parents Angelo and Angiola Esposito. No luck! Again using the V and the E.

Help. Maybe others eyes are better than mine. Oh! Also searched for any child's birth 1890-1895 with Gaetano as the father and Carmela the mother.

No luck either. There may not be any. They may have immigrated but can't search that out until I am positive about the name.

Thanks for any help.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9973 ... gaetan.jpg

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Re: Confused about last name of groom

Postby adelfio » 13 Dec 2010, 18:13

Looking at it it might be could be Zito there is a few hits from Naples area with that spelling
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 13 Dec 2010, 18:21

I think the surname is Tito.

Tito is a current surname in the town of Castellammare as well.
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 13 Dec 2010, 18:28

Di you know ther is another Carmella Fiumara married to Vincenzo Gambardella around that time on Ancestry in same area of Castellammare di Stabia.
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 13 Dec 2010, 18:30

You always know those curly Qs dont you Peg great job

Marty A

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 13 Dec 2010, 18:33

I've been reading these crazy documents for too many years to know that, just because a letter doesn't look like a particular letter, doesn't mean it isn't!
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 13 Dec 2010, 18:49

I reading alot more and trying study these old documents it helps the newbies with all the help that is on here from you guys and gals
Marty A

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 13 Dec 2010, 18:54

Marty
I've been working with these documents since the spring of 1997. I still have times when I can't read some of the handwriting. Just keep working at it. The hardest things though are surnames in towns with which you are not familiar and also names of streets in those towns. The rest gets easier the more your practice.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 13 Dec 2010, 23:32

Thanks for the input. I have also come up with another option, Di Vito, De Vito in addition to your suggestions.

Finally, I said nuts! Now I am going through each record for the year 1868 to see if I luck out. Only 267 pages left to go. :wink:

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 13 Dec 2010, 23:40

I have done that. Sometimes you get more info that way you might pick up a aunt or uncle on the way in your searching

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 14 Dec 2010, 00:12

libees
The surname is definitely Tito. Go to the beta website where I'm sure you found the marriage record and look at image 97 of 107 (Indice Matrimoni 1866-1895). You will see the record listed under the letter T for the year 1890.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 14 Dec 2010, 01:15

As usual, thank you so much.

I did find the listing of his birth in the index, b. 23 Dec 1867. No records available for that year online. Would have to write for his birth record.

I would have never guessed at Tito, but again, thank you.

p.s. I did make it through the 1868 records.

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 14 Dec 2010, 01:35

libees,
I learned a long time ago that, when in doubt about a beginning letter of a surname, try to find it in the index, as you might get a clue that way. I had a terrible time with the first letter of the surname Iameo in my mother-in-law's parents' ancestral town when I first started doing microfilmed research in that town. The name in the U.S. was Ameo, and no one knew that it originally had an I at the beginning. The index initially was my only saving grace.

Anyway, I'm happy the mystery is finally solved for you.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 14 Dec 2010, 03:55

You know, everyone on this forum is always helpful. I have found my way through a lot of things but sometimes you just can figure it out.

Received a letter from a comune I have pestered for the past 4 or 5 years. Along the way I have received information for another family who I am sure are related but not the information I have looked for or requested. Oh well!

In fact, need to post one of the a birth records I received but will do so in a separate post. Another handwriting issue.

Thank you again,

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

14 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations