Need help reading and translating civil records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
36 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby rjrdomer » 02 Jan 2011, 19:16

Hello. Someone generously provided me with some civil records regarding my g-g grandfather, Cono Russo and his 2 spouses, Lucia Cassella and Concetta D'Elia. They are from the town of Teggiano in the late 1800s. I do not know much Italian so they are difficult for me to translate. Also the handwriting is even harder to read since I don't know the language. If someone could help translate, I would appreciate it. I can email the files to you.

Regards,
Robert Russo
rjrusso2@gmail.com
User avatar
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 19:47

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jan 2011, 19:42

Hi Robert!

We are very familiar with Italian civil records here at the forum, and there are MANY very talented volunteers who can transcribe the handwriting...

Why don't you upload the images to an image-sharing site and post to the forum so that we can take a look :-)

We have had much success with www.imageshack.com

Click "Browse" to select the document file on your computer
Click "upload"
Then copy the "Direct code link" and paste it into your post...

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby rjrdomer » 02 Jan 2011, 19:53

Thanks for your help. Here is the link:

http://img703.imageshack.us/g/micheleru ... ct211.jpg/

I am most concerned with the marrage certificate between Cono Russo and Concetta D'Elia. I believe there is some very important information regarding children in the notes at the bottom. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again.
Rob
User avatar
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 19:47

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jan 2011, 20:20

Hi Rob! :-)

The marriage act for Cono Russo and Concetta D'Elia is dated 8 September 1890 at 9:12 AM at the town hall.

Cono is 35, peasant farmer, son of deceased Cono, also a peasant farmer, and of Maria Magliano (sp?), peasant farmer. All were born and resided in Tegiano (the father, also, during his life)
Concetta is 35, peasant farmer, daughter of Antonio, peasant farmer, and of Saveria LaVeglia (sp?), peasant farmer. All of Tegiano.

Witnesses:
Raffaele Sirico, 74
Donato Chiexxx, 70

The notation refers to two sons born to the couple from a natural union, Antonio and Vito, and asks that they be recognized at this time.

Often couples were married in the church and much later by civil authorities. The children were legitimate in the "eyes of the church" and were then recognized at the civil marriage.

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby rjrdomer » 02 Jan 2011, 20:32

Thanks so much! That is very helpful. I'd love to read a literal translation of all of the documents at some point but this is awesome.

I was very curious about the kids, Antonio and Vito since I knew they were born in 1887 and 1889 before Cono and Conctta were married. But it appears that they are their kids, legitimate or not. Thanks for your explanation.

Also I was always under the impression that Antonio and Vito (my great-grandfather's brothers) were born in the United States. I have Cono Russo's citizenship papers and it indicates that, so does Vito's death certificate. But maybe someone bent the rules a little bit. From this marriage notice from Italy, it seems as if they were born in Italy. Unless they had kids in the US and returned to Italy to get married, which is somewhat unlikely.

Thanks again.
Rob
User avatar
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 19:47

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jan 2011, 20:51

rjrdomer wrote:Thanks so much! That is very helpful. I'd love to read a literal translation of all of the documents at some point but this is awesome.

I was very curious about the kids, Antonio and Vito since I knew they were born in 1887 and 1889 before Cono and Conctta were married. But it appears that they are their kids, legitimate or not. Thanks for your explanation.

Also I was always under the impression that Antonio and Vito (my great-grandfather's brothers) were born in the United States. I have Cono Russo's citizenship papers and it indicates that, so does Vito's death certificate. But maybe someone bent the rules a little bit. From this marriage notice from Italy, it seems as if they were born in Italy. Unless they had kids in the US and returned to Italy to get married, which is somewhat unlikely.

Thanks again.
Rob


They are DEFINITELY legitimate :-D
If you want to learn more about this, the following thread is very helpful...
http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... imacy.html


If you want to learn more about the civil records (to help with a word for word translation) you can study the records (form was pretty consistent) at this site...
Italian Record Extraction...An Instructional Guide
It even has a tutorial on Italian Handwriting...
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... efault.htm

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jan 2011, 21:01

Translation of Birth Act #187 for Michele Russo

On 21 October 1879 at 8:30 AM at the town hall appeared Cono Russo, 24, peasant farmer, to declare that at 3:10 PM on the 20th of the current month at the house on Via Sant'Angelo, to Luisa Casella, his wife, living with him, was born a male child to whome was given the name Michele.
'
The notation to the left indicates that Michele married Raffaela Vessuccio (not sure of this last name) on 22 March 1900 or 1906.
The notation was recorded by the official on 30 June 1906.

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jan 2011, 21:12

The Publication of Banns of Marriage for Cono Russo and Lucia Casella/Casetta is very difficult to read. May need MANY eyes to take a look... but here's what I see.

24 June 1878
Cono Russo, 23, peasant farmer, son of deceased Cono and Maria Magliano, all of Tegiano
Marries
Lucia Casella/Casetta, 17 or 18, peasant farmer, daughter of Xxxx Casella/Casetta and Maria Di Lxxx(?)


Corrected
- this was for Marriage Publication

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby maestra36 » 02 Jan 2011, 22:16

T
I think the month on the record is July and not June. I can't read the day at all. The time was 10:20 A.M.

I believe Casella is the correct surname. The bride's mother's last name is Di Sarli.

Peg


Tessa78 wrote:The marriage act for Cono Russo and Lucia Casella/Casetta is very difficult to read. May need MANY eyes to take a look... but here's what I see.

24 June 1878
Cono Russo, 23, peasant farmer, son of deceased Cono and Maria Magliano, all of Tegiano
Marries
Lucia Casella/Casetta, 17 or 18, peasant farmer, daughter of Xxxx Casella/Casetta and Maria Di Lxxx(?)

T.
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
 
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby maestra36 » 02 Jan 2011, 22:29

Raffaela's surname should be Vertuccio

Peg


Tessa78 wrote:Translation of Birth Act #187 for Michele Russo

On 21 October 1879 at 8:30 AM at the town hall appeared Cono Russo, 24, peasant farmer, to declare that at 3:10 PM on the 20th of the current month at the house on Via Sant'Angelo, to Luisa Casella, his wife, living with him, was born a male child to whome was given the name Michele.
'
The notation to the left indicates that Michele married Raffaela Vessuccio (not sure of this last name) on 22 March 1900 or 1906.
The notation was recorded by the official on 30 June 1906.

T.
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
 
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jan 2011, 22:30

Peg,

I was reading the Pubblication Act... the date was 24 June 1878...
The right column has the dates of the publications...those are in July...

Went back to look at the Marriage Act..and it is definitely July, but I also cannot read the date. My guess is that is it around the 24 or 28, since the third banns look like they were on 21st.

As I said...we need many eyes, because this is difficult to read. :-)

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jan 2011, 22:31

Yes, I can see di Sarli (somewhat) and most definitely I'd agree with
Vertuccio...

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby maestra36 » 02 Jan 2011, 22:38

T-
Definitely a difficult read, but I think you did really well with all of the records.
Peg

Tessa78 wrote:Peg,

I was reading the Pubblication Act... the date was 24 June 1878...
The right column has the dates of the publications...those are in July...

Went back to look at the Marriage Act..and it is definitely July, but I also cannot read the date. My guess is that is it around the 24 or 28, since the third banns look like they were on 21st.

As I said...we need many eyes, because this is difficult to read. :-)

T.
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
 
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Jan 2011, 22:39

Grazie, Peg!

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Need help reading and translating civil records

Postby maestra36 » 02 Jan 2011, 22:40

Prego, T.
Peg
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
 
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Next

36 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests

 
Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.