Question about Italian Records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
adelfio
Master
Master

Question about Italian Records

Post by adelfio »

Looking at quite of few records now did it make a difference in how wealthy you were in how the records were written out because some of these Allegati"s are in beautiful hand writing and some like my family peasant farmers are poorly hand written and kinda hard to decipher.
Marty A
rdel4577
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Question about Italian Records

Post by rdel4577 »

Having looked at my ancestor's records from various towns and various time frames, I think it really just depends on the hand writing ability or style of the city or church clerk or the priest.

Some of my relative's records are clear and precise, others are like chicken scratching.

Roberto
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The reason I ask some records are from the town same time frame one is a form record and the next is totally hand written looks like a bad night at the vineyard

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

A death book register is divided in 2 parts:

Parte 1 - Contains the death records of the people who died in their house

Parte 2 - Contains the death records of the people who died in other places and is divided in 3 series:
Serie A: people who died in another town
Serie B: people who died in hospitals, jails, etc
Serie C: people who died abroad, during an airplane or ship disaster or in war, etc

Parte 1 and Part 2A and 2B usually use printed forms while Part 2C is usually 100% handwritten
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Thank you for the info Livio
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

liviomoreno wrote:A death book register is divided in 2 parts:

Parte 1 - Contains the death records of the people who died in their house

Parte 2 - Contains the death records of the people who died in other places and is divided in 3 series:
Serie A: people who died in another town
Serie B: people who died in hospitals, jails, etc
Serie C: people who died abroad, during an airplane or ship disaster or in war, etc

Parte 1 and Part 2A and 2B usually use printed forms while Part 2C is usually 100% handwritten
I've been wondering about this for some time but never had a reason (regarding my own records) to ask the question.

Livio, how about a similar description for birth and marriage records?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I am surprised by what Livio had to say about the death records in Part II, as I have death records from Part II for individuals who died in other towns which are completely handwritten, as well ones for individuals who died in hospitals in another town, again completely handwritten, and I have one for a person who died in Argentina, again completely handwritten. Then I have a death record extract for a direct line ancestor's brother-in- law who died during WWI in a camp hospital. This record is a form record with fill in the blanks in the most beautiful handwriting I have ever seen on an Italian record. So the records in my possession obviously don't follow the norm which Livio seems to have outlined above.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

So whats the earliest form record you have seen in your research of Italian records?
Marty

Marty
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Hi Marty
Offhand I can't answer your question. Will have to go through my records to answer this one and that will take me some time. I have records which I have gathered since 1997.
Peg
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

@Peg
[quote=Livio]Parte 1 and Part 2A and 2B usually use printed forms while Part 2C is usually 100% handwritten[/quote]

I would also add that the printed form may differ from town to town, and some times the death records may have an annotation related to the birth of the individual.

@Carmine

Birth Acts

Parte 1 Serie A: Contains the births announced to the Ufficio di Stato Civile.
Parte 1 Serie B: Contains the births announced to the Ufficio di Stato Civile more than 10 days after the actual birth
Parte 2 Serie A: Contains the records of birth occurred in a town which is different from the residency
Parte 2 Serie B: Contains the records of birth occurred in hospitals, abroad, on a ship, etc.

Marriage acts
Parte 1 contains the marriages celebrated in the town hall
Other marriages are recorded in Parte 2...

All of the above is not 100% accurate, rules may have changed overtime...

The current rule may be found at http://www.esteri.it/MAE/normative/Norm ... _12055.pdf
crosa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crosa »

rdel, when you talk about looking at the records, did you write the form letter to the commune or did you find it another waycrosa
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Crosa did you look at your post on the first sight We dont only do italian geneology?
Marty

Marty
crosa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crosa »

yes but I know the sisters stayed in Italy, married and had children
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marty