need some help translating words, marriage record Sciacca

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
nuke126

need some help translating words, marriage record Sciacca

Post by nuke126 »

Spent a few hours with this marriage record from Sciacca, Sicily for my great great grandparents in 1890 (Gaspare Fronteri or Frontera and Antonina Catania). Did my best to transcribe the Italian from the document and then tried to translate to English. I almost finished but need some help with a few of the handwritten words at the bottom.

This is what I've got:

i documento presentato é il certificate della pubblicazioni da
me eseginto nella domeniche quindici e ventidue
Dicembre ultimo - gli sposi alla presenza degli stessi
testimoni hanno esposto altresi che dalla loro unione
naturale ______ sua figli ________
_____ ______ uffizil dello stato civile, il
primo il ventinove del mese di ottobre milleottocento-
ottantatre che p’appello Vitelliano Sebastiano
ed il secondo il undici luglio milleottocent-
ottantasette che p’appello Carla Giuseppa, mi
hanno dichiarato che ___ presenta atto _____-
______ propri figli all’ affetto alla loro legittimazione
detto il presente atto agli intervenute pre fer-
mato ____ e testimoni filamente stanto gli
sposi di pero di non sopra firmone
_______ _______ _______ _____ ottan-
to __ essi approza.

My attempt at English translation:

The certificate of the executed marriage banns hung on the Sundays of 15th and 22nd of last December – the husband and wife in the presence of the same witnesses have also explained that their natural union ______ their children’s _______ _______ _______ Vital Records Office, the first the 29th of the month October 1883 named Sebastiano Vitelliano and the second on the 11th of July 1887 named Giuseppa Carla, I have stated that _____ this document ________ ____ affection to their children their right to note that this occurred to stop...

photo links:
the bottom section i need help with:
the whole record:

would really appreciate some help with finishing the translation!

Thanks, Nick
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: need some help translating words, marriage record Sciacc

Post by liviomoreno »

Nick, when I try to enlarge the images I get the following error from Imagesack:

"You have tried to load a page on imageshack.us, but there was an error. Please press back and try again.

This error has been logged, and we will investigate it immediately. There is no need to contact us about this issue"
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

This is the correct transcription, I'll let you try to translate it again and then propose my corrections, if needed:

i documento presentato è il certificato delle pubblicazioni da me eseguito nelle domeniche quindici e ventidue dicembre ultimo - gli sposi alla presenza degli stessi testimoni hanno esposto altresì che dalla loro unione
naturale nacquero due figli che vennero denunziati a questo uffizio dello stato civile, il primo il ventinove del mese di ottobre milleottocentoottantatre (1) che si appellò Vitelliano Sebastiano
ed il secondo il undici luglio milleottocentottantasette che s’appello Carla Giuseppa, e mi hanno dichiarato che col presente atto li riconoscono
per propri figli all’effetto della loro legittimazione.
Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti si è firmato da me e testimoni solamente stante gli
sposi dissero di non sapere firmare.
(1) si emenda [not sure about this word but he meaning is correct] la parola sottolineata e si ripete ottantatre e si approva.
nuke126

Post by nuke126 »

thank you for your help and fast response! i have tried to translate your italian transcription to English the best I could. Is this correct?

The document presented the certificate of the marriage banns made by me on the Sundays of 15th and 22nd of last December - the bride and groom in the presence of these witnesses have also stated that from their natural union born two children who were denounced to this office of civil vital records, the first the 29th of the month October 1883 named Sebastiano Vitelliano and the second on the 11th of July 1887 named Giuseppa Carla, and I recognize the children by this act of their legitimacy. This document was read to the participants, and was signed only by me because the witnesses and couple said they did not know how to write.

How is "nelle domeniche quindici e ventidue dicembre ultimo" translated to English? Is it referring to two dates, 15th and 22nd or is there a time as well?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Good job! Some cosmetics...

The document presented is the certificate of the marriage banns made (posted) by me on the Sundays of 15th and 22nd of last December - the bride and groom in the presence of the same witnesses have also stated that from their natural union born two children who were denounced to this office of civil vital records, the first the 29th of the month October 1883 named Vitelliano Sebastiano and the second on the 11th of July 1887 named Carla Giuseppa, and that by this act they recognize them as their own children to the effect of their legitimacy (in order to legitimate them). This document was read to the participants, and was signed only by me and the witnesses because the couple said they did not know how to write.

How is "nelle domeniche quindici e ventidue dicembre ultimo" translated to English? Is it referring to two dates, 15th and 22nd or is there a time as well?
"... on December 15 and on December 22", it refers to two different days.
nuke126

Post by nuke126 »

great, thanks again. this was my first post on this forum. i've known about it for years but never tried participating. i'm so glad you helped me and will use this again.