Sicilian dialect

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mystictyger18
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sicilian dialect

Post by mystictyger18 »

you see, you are unhappy
agrigentosicula

Post by agrigentosicula »

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. My mother and father's grandparents were immigrants from Sicily, but we all speak Sicilian in my family. My first language was Sicilian, then English, then Spanish, then Italian. I lived in Sicily when I was a very little girl-- picciridda (in Sicilian.. the word for little girl). I would like to say one thing: Sicilian isn't a dialect. It is a language within it's own right. Not all of the grammar forms are the same as they are in Italian. For instance, in Sicilian, it is common to put the verb after the subject and adjective. Example: A zuppa bona è instead of a zuppa è bona (the soup is good). Both cases are acceptable, but the latter is due to the influence of modern Italian on Sicilian. Also, like Spanish, Sicilian employs the use of the personal "a" which cannot be translated. Italian uses neither of these grammar rules. I would gladly help anyone who would like to learn the beautiful Sicilian language. I speak Sicilian, Italian and Spanish fluently. I would love to learn Latin and I think I'm going to do it.

Have a good day! :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear FIGYU BEDU how nice to hear your going to learn Latin. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I just realized your a girl so it is FIGYAH BEDU. Sorry for the gender slip. Peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

"Sicilian isn't a dialect. It is a language within it's own right."

agrigentosicula,

Do you know of any Sicilian to Italian dictionaries I can buy, or any on-line Sicilian translation sites?
I was wondering what the words to Carmen Consoli's song Masino mean.
Of course if you or any of your fellow Sicilian speakers would care to lend a hand, I would be most gratefull of a tranlation posted here, but I realise that is probably a bit much to ask!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

For information and orders write to: LEGAS, P.O. Box 040328, Brooklyn, New York 11204-0002. or P.O> Box 4,Stn A, Ottowa Canada KIN 8V1. Peter
mystictyger18
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mystictyger18 »

I tried learning Latin a few years ago....that didnt go too well for me...but I dont think it was a good time for me to try to learn it...Sicilian and Italian are the two languages I would really like to learn....my grandma would like me to be fluent in them....keep to my roots I guess....she tried to teach me when I was little but doesnt speak to me in it completely...she does some words sicilian and some english...I dont think it was easy for her trying to teach me by herself when other than when she spoke to me all I heard was english....now I really wish I had learned it....I can understand some things when people speak it but as to grammar and the spelling of words I dont really have a clue...so if you would be willing to help me thatd be awesome
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Write to the address above for all sicilian languiage publications and if you and anyone else resides in the NYC metropolitan area go to GCLARONI@FORBIN.QC.EDU for Calandra Insititute for Italian intellectual pursuits. There appears to be very interesting developments there. Peter
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BethW »

A good source for links to online dictionaries, translators and language courses is www.word2word.com . They have a link to an Italian/Sicilian online dictionary.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Sicilian language is not included in this website and while I did not uncover any sicilian dictionary I will assume it exists on the website for whatever utility it may offer. The language books that asre offered in Siclian are in the addresses I furnished and hopefully they are still viable. Peter
agrigentosicula

Post by agrigentosicula »

deleted
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BethW »

If you go to www.word2word.com and select "dictionaries and translators" and then click on "Italian" you will find links to several online dictionaries one of which is Italian<->Sicilian.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I made up my own phonetic spelling for an american FIGYA BEDAH translation into Sicilian since many readers may not be as aware as you are. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I know that dictionaries exist in sicilian but the intial inquirer is interested in learning the languiage and the dictionary is useful but only as an addendum to a grammar book. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

SAMPARI SPICCHI ITALIA? Peter