Sicilian dialect

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
OmertaSiciliana

Re: Sicilian dialect

Post by OmertaSiciliana »

Thanks Peter! Always helpful, as usual 8)

I think it's really a shame that not so many people here speak Sicilian. All the websites I could find about the language teach verb forms and such, but no one bothers to post anything about simple phrases, and the obvious things people want to know. I remember when I first started studying it, I could write full sentences and conjugate verbs in any tense, but I didn't know how to say "how are you?"... lol. I've only got one question left.

Aviri vs. Teniri. Mkay, well I know you'd use Aviri with the past participles, but I've also seen it used in sentences regarding possession of a material item. In Spanish we use tener for possession, etc. and haber for the past participle. In Sicilian do you use Aviri for both, or only for the past participle? Does anyone even use teniri? 8O 8O HELP! lol. Could you maybe write a sentence with each verb? The confusion all began when I was on a site that was showing the verb conjugations in Sicilian vs Spanish [since for some reason it doesn't make sense to me in English, and I find Spanish easier...] and it matched up Aviri AND teniri with Tener and I got oh so confused. :(

I am definately going to write my letters in Sicilian, and if they've got any problems with it then they're obviously not family!! :P Ciau!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Aviri and esseri are auxiliary verbs and help the main verb. An example would be "dissi murmuriannu,AVIA tempu che ju la capia,putiamu ragiunari tuttu l'annu" which translates as fiollows: I muttered to myself I never would HAVE figured this one out,we could have stood there arguing for a year. The verb Teniri can be used to hold,keep or occupy and can be conjugated tene(?) he holds. Peter
OmertaSiciliana

Post by OmertaSiciliana »

Well, I know you can write "iddu teni..." meaning "he has", but I've seen people write "iddu avi" to mean possession of an item. Would this be wrong? [Sorry that I keep asking, I just don't get it.] :roll:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

iddu avi is in error technically speaking.Peter
agrigentosicula

Post by agrigentosicula »

Good question! A lot of Sicilians use teniri but at the same time some use aviri. It's kind of a choice all the time except when you have something in your HANDS. Then it's mandatory to use teniri.

For instance, you can say:

Aiu nu gattu (I have a cat)
or
Tegnu nu gattu (I hold, I keep a cat)

The meaning changes slightly.

One exception could be using teniri when you're sick... tegnu nu duluri di testa, for example. I don't know why but it just works out that way.

In the past, aviri is used if you're talking about anything but actually physically holding something.

Petru, parri sicilianu? Nun lu sapeva mai!! ;-)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I must explain that I am not of sicilian background but I have sufficient experience to be able to read and understand Siclian dialect when I read it out loud and when someone speaks to me but, als alack, I do not have the capacity or the volcabulary to speak Sicilian. I understand grammar very well and I can also understand,read and speak somewhat in the Basilicata dialect and the Apulian dialect since the grammatical constuctions are very similar. Sicilian is my favorite since it is closest to Toscana which I know very well. So please forgive me if I do not respond immediately since I have to construct sentences in my head before I write. Peter
agrigentosicula

No problem Peter! :)
frankricc@cox.net

Post by frankricc@cox.net »

I have always said that when in Sicily, the language is Sicilian and the dialect is Italian.
Have the history of the Ricchiazzi family going back to the 1500's in Santa Maria frazione di Montalbano Elicona
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

technically correct!! Peter
agrigentosicula

Correct! ;-)
nick15

Post by nick15 »

When using a "u" in sicilian how is it pronounced? i read that it is pronounced like the "oo" in foot, but it just sounds really wierd, almost identical to bedda
Russo-Demetros

Post by Russo-Demetros »

My name is Karen and my profile name is Russo-Demetros.

I would like to learn Sicilian. Right now, as a hobbie I am starting with Ancient Hebrew from the lost language and history of the Sementic tribe. The history of words and how is used is really interesting.

The Italian and Sicilian Lanuage sounds to be beautiful. I would like just to have cooresponse and just learn the culture, history and language and pen pal to speak of. I am 59 with lots of interest to learn many things and to be a pen pal friend would be great.

My ethnic background is a little confusing, but that is alright. Your culture is more in my heart.

Karen
Greezeman

Post by Greezeman »

Is there anyone out there in the NYC area that is willing to teach Sicilian once..maybe twice a week. When my grandparents died nobody really spoke it anymore. I have a grasp on it so it's not like im starting from nothing. I have connected with my family in Siracusa and have planned a trip in 2008. I would love to go there and not have to worry about not being able to speak well...
Please reply to Sicilianman814@si.rr.com I am willing to go anywhere in the NYC area and pay any fee you might see fit.
Angelo
mj8c5

Post by mj8c5 »

I am new to this site and I am looking for anyone who can teach me to speak sicilian I am not interested in italian I just would like to learn sicilian if anyone can help me my email is mj8c5@yahoo.com I wouuld like it if someone was willing to teach over the phone but I will take help through emails also I live in nyc so if you are not in the area you probably are not interested in the phone idea. I am desperate for help I have been trying to learn for 2 yrs now with no luck.