translation help please - this word is driving me crazy!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

translation help please - this word is driving me crazy!

Post by 3sunshine »

I am working my way through most of an 1872 Marriage Bann application for my 3rd great grandparents in Grotte, Caltinesetta, Sicilly and am stuck on 1 word before the father of the bride's name," M---- Giuseppe" (surname Carlisi), who is 66 years old and a cobbler. Anybody ever see this? It's written this way on both the daughter's marriage bann application and the subsequent marriage ceremony record, but the word is not used on his daughter's birth record, 15 year's prior.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: translation help please - this word is driving me crazy!

Post by maestra36 »

The word before Giuseppe should be Maestro which means that he was a master of his trade which was a cobbler. A calzolaio-which translates to shoemaker or cobbler was not a person who repaired them. He was a person who custom-made them for his clients. They were made-to-measure. He would make a cast of his client's foot and custom make them for him.

By the way, welcome to the forum-
Peg
3sunshine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 3sunshine »

Peg, not sure what word is being obstructed by the spam filters, assuming it is shoes, boots or **SPAM**, but thank you so much for your quick reply, what a great night night at the forum!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

it was what one normally wears on his feet and I don't know why it was labeled as spam.

what was obstructed was the first part of the word shoemaker