Translation assistance, please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Translation assistance, please

Postby suz1154 » 02 Feb 2011, 21:03

I'm having trouble translating the parts of my grandfather's birth certificate that are in red because it's not very clear. I've attached it in hopes that someone with more experience than myself might be able to help. Thank you very much.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translation assistance, please

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2011, 01:47

Hi :-)

This copy is very difficult to read, but follows a standard format...

The first part you highlighted is the name of the official, his title and his job as officer of vital records.

The second red box appears to highlight the occupation of the father. Hard to read, but could be "industriante"

The third part is a common notation stating that the official read the act to all the participants and they signed with him, except those who were illiterate.

Hope this helps!

T.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 05 Feb 2011, 06:46

There is a part missing, after the occupation of the father, which states

"dalla sua unione con donna non maritata non parente nè affine con lui nei che ostano al riconoscimento"

of his union with a woman not married, not relative nor akin within the degree that would prevent the recognition was born a child

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2011, 17:06

OOPS! :oops:
Thanks, Livio...

I was going too quickly... must focus even when tired! :wink:

T.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 05 Feb 2011, 17:16

Tessa78 wrote:OOPS! :oops:
Thanks, Livio...

I was going too quickly... must focus even when tired! :wink:

T.

that's teamwork and 4 eyes are better than 2 eyes :wink:

suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suz1154 » 07 Feb 2011, 16:49

Thank you Tessa and Livio. I had read "Finding Italian Roots," so I knew that there was a standard layout to the information. I knew my husband's great grandfather and great grandmother weren't married when his grandfather was born (so he was illegitimate at the time of his birth), but it didn't say anything about that type of situation in the book, and I didn't see his great grandmother's name, so I was wondering how they handled that. It's strange--they handle it the opposite of what we do here--registering under the father's name instead of the mother. I also knew the other part was supposed to be his great grandfather's occupation, but couldn't make out what it said, and was wanting to try to find out. Again, THANKS A MILLION FOR YOUR HELP!!

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”