solemn promise translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

solemn promise translation

Postby bkworm10 » 04 Feb 2011, 21:47

I have tried to translate the solemn promise, but I have a few questions.

First, are the first 4 males listed, witnesses to the marriage? Are they typically relatives or not? Lacovara is the bride's mother's name as well as the brides paternal grandmother's name.

Second is the date of Marriage - June 17, 1863?

Any other important information included? Thanks, Annette

Here is the image:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6435/fb186321.jpg

Sirena
Elite
Elite

Re: solemn promise translation

Postby Sirena » 05 Feb 2011, 00:27

The 4 were witnesses to this civil act which they had to take to the church to then get married. At the bottom, the last paragraph is signed by the church official stating that the marriage did take place on 6/17/1863. The witnesses to the marriage were different. Their names are at the bottom Vincenzo R ?? and Giuseppe Sergio (sp???)
The handwritten part is difficult to read but I'm sure someone else can decipher it.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2011, 00:37

bkworm10 wrote:I have tried to translate the solemn promise, but I have a few questions.

First, are the first 4 males listed, witnesses to the marriage? Are they typically relatives or not? Lacovara is the bride's mother's name as well as the brides paternal grandmother's name.

Second is the date of Marriage - June 17, 1863?

Any other important information included? Thanks, Annette

Here is the image:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6435/fb186321.jpg

There are two Domenico Lacovara witnesses...
The first is 38 and the son of Leonardo
The second is 60 and the son of Andrea
They could be relatives, you would have to find connections within the family. Relationship to the "sposi" is not indicated.

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 05 Feb 2011, 00:39

Sirena wrote:The witnesses to the marriage were different. Their names are at the bottom Vincenzo R ?? and Giuseppe Sergio (sp???)
The handwritten part is difficult to read but I'm sure someone else can decipher it.

Is it Vincenzo Romano? That was a common name in Accettura. I'm not sure of Giuseppe's last name? Are witnesses in Italy typically male? Are they typically relatives? I think the groom's mother's surname was Raniero or something like that. I suppose it could be that instead of Romano.

Thanks, Annette

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 05 Feb 2011, 00:47

Tessa78 wrote:There are two Domenico Lacovara witnesses...
The first is 38 and the son of Leonardo
The second is 60 and the son of Andrea
They could be relatives, you would have to find connections within the family. Relationship to the "sposi" is not indicated.

T.

Yes, I don't have connections yet - I just learned the new surname last week and yesterday. What is "sposi"? Is there something on the form that they could have checked to show they were relatives?

Thanks, Tess!
-Annette

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2011, 00:50

Hi Annette,

Yes, I think Vincenzo's surname is Romano, and I think the other witness is Giuseppe Curzio.
Both surnames are found in Accettura...

Witnesses were not TYPICALLY relatives. Sometimes it was whoever was at hand...

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2011, 00:54

What is "sposi"? Is there something on the form that they could have checked to show they were relatives?

I'm sorry... SPOSI are the spouses.

Nothing to check on the form to indicate relationship.

BTW - when looking for connections...
Domenico Lacovara, 38, son of Leonardo was a peasant farmer, and lived at Strada Piazza (no number)
Domenico Lacovara, 60, son of Andrea was also a peasant farmer, and lived at Strada S. Francesco (no number)

Families can often be found at the same address through generations...

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 05 Feb 2011, 01:01

Tessa78 wrote:BTW - when looking for connections...
Domenico Lacovara, 38, son of Leonardo was a peasant farmer, and lived at Strada Piazza (no number)
Domenico Lacovara, 60, son of Andrea was also a peasant farmer, and lived at Strada S. Francesco (no number)

Families can often be found at the same address through generations...

T.

Interesting...would it have an address on the bride's birth act? I sent that in another post. Her mother was a Lacovara and so was her paternal grandmother? Where else would it likely list the bride's address in the processetti? I have about 21 pages of documents of this processetti, most of which I did not post because it refers to the groom, of whom I am not related.

Thanks, Annette

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2011, 01:14

Sometimes you will find that more information is listed about the groom in a marriage record, or father in a birth record.

Sometimes an address is given, and sometimes not... :-(
Have to take what we can get :-)

I translated the birth record you posted, but not much info in the record about the mother.

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 05 Feb 2011, 01:21

Tessa78 wrote:Have to take what we can get :-)

I translated the birth record you posted, but not much info in the record about the mother.

T.

I'll take what I got - it got me back two more generations and two new surnames! :-) I'll settle for finding out about the Lacovara's somewhere else.

Yes, I see that you translated the birth record! Thanks a bunch! This is so much fun!

Annette

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2011, 01:23

Glad to help! :-D

T.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”