Help with 1811 Census for Pozzo di Gotto!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Help with 1811 Census for Pozzo di Gotto!

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

I received a snipet of the 1811 Census for the town of Pozzo Di Gotto from Sforza! It lists an Antonio DiSalvo...I know that my GGGrandmother was born in Barcellona PG in 1834 and her father's name was Antonio. Can someone take a look at this image and tell me what it says regarding Antonio!!!! Any thoughts or ideas on how to take this information and try to see if this could be my GGGrandfather? As always, your time and help is greatly appreciated!

http://img98.imageshack.us/i/1811pgscan001.jpg/
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help with 1811 Census for Pozzo di Gotto!

Post by Italysearcher »

Looks more like a tax list than a census.
D. before a name usually indicates a person of some importance.
D. Antonio is from Barcellona according to this list. If this is 1811 and he owned property or paid taxes to Pozzo di Gotto it could be him but you need to do the paper trail to make an informed decision.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

WOW! Sounds interesting! Can you tell me what the part that reads " D. Giovanni" means? Does it give a birthdate/age for him? Or maybe even an address of the property? Seeing as this might be a tax list....I now have many other questions! I received an email from the Archivio di Stato in Messina that they had the birth records for my Great Great Grandmother, Rosalia Di Salvo, born in 1834 in Barcellona PG and it listed her father as Antonio Di Salvo and Domenica Campo. I should receive the actual paper copies this week. Also, I have written to the Stato Civile in Barcellona PG to see what else I can find..like his birth info. Do you have any other suggestions of places I can contact? Thank you so much for all your help! You are all amazing!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

It looks like Don Giovanni and Don Antonio are joint owners of an income producing property in Contrada Calda. It is not dated and there are no birthdates.
It is hard to read some of the words. Maybe someone else can help with that.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

WOW! Thank you so much! I guess I didn't think that the "D" stood for "Don." WOW again! Is Giovanni a Di Salvo then too? Perhaps a brother??? This is all just so exciting! Maybe someone else can take a jab at it and see what else we can find! Grazie ancora!