Casertano, Perrotta marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Casertano, Perrotta marriage

Postby oilman19 » 16 Feb 2011, 10:37

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6790/c ... marr19.jpg

I need an opinion, please.

This document shows Nicola's father's name as Prisco. I didn't question the validity of the name until I discovered, in a later document, that this couple named their daughter Prisco.

Is this likely?

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Casertano, Perrotta marriage

Postby maestra36 » 16 Feb 2011, 13:16

Jim
The groom was from the town of San Prisco (also in Caserta Province). Prisco was the name of a saint. The town's patron saint is San Prisco, so there were probably a lot of children in that town named for the patron saint. Possibly females in the town were also given the saint's name at birth.

http://www.comuni-italiani.it/061/081/

Peg

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 16 Feb 2011, 13:29

Hi Peg,

I guess I kind of expected this to be true, but also looked for a feminine version of the name like Prisca. When I didn't see it, I wondered if the father's name might have been in error.
In the meantime, I will try to find his 1st marriage to see if his father is listed the same.

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Feb 2011, 16:00

oilman19 wrote:Hi Peg,

I guess I kind of expected this to be true, but also looked for a feminine version of the name like Prisca. When I didn't see it, I wondered if the father's name might have been in error.
In the meantime, I will try to find his 1st marriage to see if his father is listed the same.

Thank you

Hi Jim,

Prisca - the feminine version - does exist... :-)
Prisca

Origin: Derived from the Latin Priscus, an ancient Latin surname, which means "past one's prime, aleady old."

Name Day/Onomastico: January 18—in memory of St. Prisca, Roman martyred in 250.

Related Name/Other Italian Forms: Prisco

Maybe it's just sloppy handwriting :-) (which we have seen before ;-) ) in the daughter's birth record...

T.

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 16 Feb 2011, 23:03

I may have erred on this one. :oops:

It now looks like it may have been a son after all. Unfortunately, Ancestry has all the births except 1904, so I can't look it up. If it is a son, it would be the first born male child and would have the name Prisco from his paternal grandfather. That would make sense.

The name appeared on his immigration document in 1906 and somehow I recorded it as a female. Now I'm not so sure that is correct. I will continue to seek a valid record for proof.

Thank you very much for all the help. :)
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 17 Feb 2011, 01:32

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5813 ... irth18.jpg

I have the birth act for Filomena Perrotta. I see the marriage annotation but cannot understand what is directly beneath it.

Can someone help?

Thank you
Jim

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 17 Feb 2011, 06:16

:?: :?: :?:
Very hard to read, could be a death annotation
"Con atto 7 ?????
??066 ??????
la Perrotta spirò"
"With act ..... the Perrotta died"
and it also looks as if it is crossed out...

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 17 Feb 2011, 09:36

I'm pretty sure Filomena died in U.S. Does this help?

I believe she died Nov 1975.
Jim

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 17 Feb 2011, 09:45

If she died in US I doubt that the death was notified to Santa Maria Capua Vetere. I'm inclined to believe that the notation was a mistake and was simply crossed out.

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 17 Feb 2011, 09:53

Thank you, Livio.
Jim

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”