Father's age on birth act

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Father's age on birth act

Postby oilman19 » 23 Feb 2011, 00:14

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9946/i ... rth187.jpg

I have the birth act for Michele Iannotta, son of Michele.
I know it is not normal to name the son after the father. While trying to read the father's age, I see a word I can't translate. Is it possible the father is deceased?

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Father's age on birth act

Postby maestra36 » 23 Feb 2011, 00:20

Jim
The word is entrambi which means both. I usually see the word ambidue in documents for both.
The parents are both alive in this record.
giornaliere is the father's occupation-which is a day laborer
both were living in this city
I don't see an age for either parent in the record.
the father was far from the city and could not announce the birth-that info appears in the handwritten section at the bottom of the document; that's why the midwife made the announcement of the birth and the presentation of the infant
Peg

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 23 Feb 2011, 00:31

Peg

Now that I am back on track, how is it that the son was named after the father? Wasn't this illegal? Or, was it just extremely rare?

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 23 Feb 2011, 00:34

I don't know the answer, Jim. The only one ancestor who was named for the father in my husband's ancestry had a father who was deceased by the time he was born. In this record, the father was alive and just far from the city at the time.

Peg

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 23 Feb 2011, 00:39

I remember you telling me that. I guess that was the reason for my initial conclusion.

I wish I had Michele's age. It would help to confirm my suspicion of where he belongs in my tree. Oh well. I'll just have to wait for more info.

Thank you, Peg
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 23 Feb 2011, 00:44

You're welcome, Jim. Sorry the record doesn't have the info for which you are searching.

Peg

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 23 Feb 2011, 06:58

oilman19 wrote:... how is it that the son was named after the father? Wasn't this illegal? Or, was it just extremely rare?

Nowadays it is illegal, not in the past.
My uncle, his father, his grandfather and his great-grandfather had the same name Giovanni.

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 23 Feb 2011, 09:07

Livio,

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Jim

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”