Help with Ellis Island Script

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Help with Ellis Island Script

Postby DJP1812 » 03 Mar 2011, 20:13

Hi All,

Can someone help me decipher the script in the image? It is an extract from an Ellis Island manifest. It is the two lines in the column of "Whether going to join a relative or friend, and if so, what relative or friend and his name and complete address". The passenger was Grazia Silvestri from Scafati, Italy.

My Guess:
Mrs (??) Maddaline Silvestri
205 Mend(??) Street, Brooklyn NY

Thanks so much!
-D

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Help with Ellis Island Script

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Mar 2011, 20:23

You don't normally see Mrs or Mr on these; more often mother, father, brother, bro, sister, sis, sis-in-law, friend, etc.

I don't think I would go along with "Mend" street either, but I don't know Brooklyn well enough to offer an alternative. Maybe Grand Street? http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=205 ... s&t=h&z=16
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DJP1812 » 03 Mar 2011, 20:44

Thanks Carmine. Maybe it is a very rough Sister or sister in law. I know her mother is Maria and Father is Simone. I am still waiting for the status of her family from Italy to know her siblings.

Grand works... I am looking at a list of streets in Brooklyn now.

Here is the larger area of the test as it shows how some of the script from other lines interacts with the piece I am researching.

-D

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 03 Mar 2011, 21:56

Looks like "sister - Maddalena Silvestri" to me :-)

And the street could definitely be "Grand"...

T.

DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DJP1812 » 03 Mar 2011, 22:54

Thanks!

I am going to see what I can dig up on Maddalena!

Since you two always help me! (and everyone else). A little update:

You were helping me find Frank Rey's info a while back. I finally just found the Ellis island manifest a couple days ago! It was filed under Francesco Ko (The data entry person must have mis-read Re for Ko)! I found out by ordering his Naturalization papers you found for me and it had the ships name and date of arrival on it!

My main goal now is tracking down my grandparents marriage record (have been looking for months). That is why I am trying to find out more about this Maddalena person! It might somehow lead me to where she lived, got married! I have almost given up hope finding the certificate and have started contacting churches.

-D

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”