Help with record please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help with record please

Postby bkworm10 » 18 Mar 2011, 13:34

Hi,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me determine what it says about the mother's name of Pietro Rocco Laraia? What I know is her name is Rosa Canuso and I only know the name of Rosa's mother (Angela Canuso), but no father. But this seems to indicate something different about her name. It says her first name is Rosa and then something after her name with a footnote next to her last name - "(a)", where the note is on the lower right side of the record and says:

(a) Dica
'Canuso'
L'abbate
Giovannantonio

Here is the link:

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6189 ... cesset.jpg

If you need me to zoom in more, I can do that and resend it. I would love to know what this means. Thanks, A.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help with record please

Postby liviomoreno » 18 Mar 2011, 15:47

The note reads:

(a) Dico
'Canuso'
L'abbate
Giovannantonio

= I say "Canuso" The abbot Giovannantono

ant it means that the underlined word (in tis case Rosa's surname) is wrong and must be read "Canuso"
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby bkworm10 » 18 Mar 2011, 17:56

Thanks Livio!

So basically what you are saying is that the person who wrote the record made a mistake and is correcting the mistake on the right side of the document? Do you think this mistake was made on the actual birth act or when transcribing this extract for the processetti? Or do we have no way of knowing?

Thanks again! A.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby liviomoreno » 18 Mar 2011, 18:14

I believe that the mistake was done during the transcription of the extract. The signature of Giannantonio appears also at the end of the document. I also see the date June 2 1868, does it make sense?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby vitocanuso » 18 Mar 2011, 18:16

Livio, i attach the record from which Note (a) comes from. can you tell what name follows "Rosa".
Thank you. Vito
vitocanuso

Postby liviomoreno » 18 Mar 2011, 18:21

I don't see the record...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 18 Mar 2011, 18:26

vitocanuso wrote:Livio, i attach the record from which Note (a) comes from. can you tell what name follows "Rosa".
Thank you. Vito

Why would you want to know what was the mistaken name? It was just a mistake he could have written anything, however maybe he wrote Rosa Laraja :wink:
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby vitocanuso » 18 Mar 2011, 20:27

good question. there is some reason to believe that her last name at birth was canuso only because the father was unknown, as her mother's last name was canuso. so we are trying to solve the mystery, and we weren't sure whether this "mistake" might have been a lead to the father
vitocanuso

Postby vitocanuso » 18 Mar 2011, 20:29

by the way, my cousin bkworm10 attached the record. my attempt to attach it failed i guess.
vitocanuso

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations