Agricoltore and Contadino

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Agricoltore and Contadino

Post by Apples »

On my great great grandfathers birth act his father is recorded as an Agricoltore and his maternal grandfather as a Contadino.

Is there a difference between the two - all the translations just seem to say farmer. It seemed strange that the official would use two different terms for people doing the same thing.

I realise this is a similar question to a recent post. :)
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Agricoltore and Contadino

Post by adelfio »

Dont know if you have it but heres a good site
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... cupati.htm

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The site is great but it gives 'farmer' as the translation for both occupations.
Around here, a contadino lives off the land, feeding his family and **SPAM** the rest.
An 'agricoltore' would be someone who grows produce for sale.
Mostly though it depends on the town or area. If everyone in town for those years is described as 'agricoltore' then it amounts to the same as 'contadino'. If you find more 'contadini' and only a few 'agricoltore' then there is a difference.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

Thanks Marty this is a useful site.

Thanks Ann - I think there must be a distinction as the different terms were used on the same document - so the official must have thought there was a difference.

There seemed to be a lot of 'contadino' in the area but very few 'agricoltore' so I think your explanation probably applies to this area as well.
:D