Atti di Morte

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
leryan
Rookie
Rookie

Atti di Morte

Post by leryan »

I am trying to find any information about Maria Angela De Carlo. I am lost on this death record. There are two parts to the image. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

http://img576.imageshack.us/i/part1vc.jpg/
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2788/part2ls.jpg
Surnames: Aldi, Campagnano, De Carlo, Del Santo, Marcuccio, Tebano
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Atti di Morte

Post by adelfio »

Sure you uploaded the right record looks like this one is witnessed by
Maria Angela De Carlo on page 2 bottom
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
leryan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leryan »

That's why it's so confusing to me. I thought it was her name on the left side as if this was her death act but then again at the bottom right as if she was a witness. Here is the full document.
http://img200.imageshack.us/i/mariadecarlo1.jpg/

I am also including the death index were it looks like she died in 1873. I checked through about 10 years on the film roll and the 1st record is the only one I found with her name. Even if she is just a witness it may give me some indication of her age or place birth for further research. But the handwriting is just too difficult for me.
http://img9.imageshack.us/i/mariangelad ... eathi.jpg/
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

That's why it's so confusing to me. I thought it was her name on the left side as if this was her death act but then again at the bottom right as if she was a witness. Here is the full document.
http://img200.imageshack.us/i/mariadecarlo1.jpg/
This document is a marriage record, not a death record... :D
Dated 14 April 1872
Groom looks like Alfonso Falanga (age?), single, born in Piedmonte d'Alife, son of deceased Raffaele, and of Rosa Nati(?)
Bride looks like Mariangiola (but signed Maria Angela) de Carlo, age 22, daughter of Arcangelo de Carlo, shopkeeper and of deceased(?) Clementina Granetti(this is a guess on the last name of mother :? )

T.
leryan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leryan »

Thanks. No wonder I had so much trouble trying to decipher a death record! Some of the sections aren't labeled and since I had a death index I assumed and look where it got me. This Mariangiola is too young to be mine.

Has anyone dealt with the ten year indexes? I have seen several names on the indexes but then their actual record seems to be missing. Of course I am grateful for the few records I have found but once you find family you just want more!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

OK on your index it says the year of death. They listed alot of times at the back of the year of the records you are looking for.(why not confuse us more HUH) In some film rolls there is a section of Atti di Morte that are hand written you have to go through the files one at a time to look for the index number and year on the top of the document the older records are all free hand not form type but they are similar to the form records if you look very close at the records you will get the hang of it. Go to this site and click on sample records
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
leryan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leryan »

Thanks, Marty. I printed the entire guide and have been using it but unfortunately part of Section G with the sample records is missing.
(from page 196 to 214).

But that's okay. I'm just going to search every record on the film roll from 1867 to 1893! That's the fun part, right?

Lesa
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Lesa I never trust the indexes I use them to see if a name is in the index of records than I go through every record for the year I am searching for. I cant tell you how many times I have found records not listed on the index and there they are in parte II at the end of the records for that year or just a clerk mistake made so spend the time. Like one of the users Maestra told me one time the more you read these records the better you get

Marty

Marty
leryan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leryan »

It can be frustrating. Mariangiola's listed in 1873 and another person I need listed as 1875 but I searched every record for those and the surrounding years without any luck. But again you never know what you can I find. I found an unknown daughter who died young that I never would have found if I hadn't looked through each record of those years.

Lesa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote:Lesa I never trust the indexes I use them to see if a name is in the index of records than I go through every record for the year I am searching for. I cant tell you how many times I have found records not listed on the index and there they are in parte II at the end of the records for that year or just a clerk mistake made so spend the time. Like one of the users Maestra told me one time the more you read these records the better you get

Marty
Excellent advice, Marty! :D :D :D

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

leryan,

Can you provide some dates, etc. and we'll be happy to help you locate the documents :-)

Are you just looking for the death record for Maria Angela de Carlo? or do you want other records? Have you found any as yet? Do you know the name of a parent or sibling or husband associated with her?

If you have found her in an index, but you can't find the record, you can write directly to the comune... Maybe they can locate it.
Even online records are not complete (as I'm sure you already know :( )

I took a look at some years for death records in Castel Campagnano and noticed that the indexes provided at the end of the book are alphabetized by FIRST name... just another thing to keep in mind as you search :D

T.
leryan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leryan »

I found the death act for my 3rd great grandmother, Luigia Campagnano dated 1882 (she was 63 years old). Parents Paolo Campagnano and Mariangela De Carlo both deceased. I found Maria on the death index for 1873 but cannot find the record. As for Paolo everyone I have found would not be anywhere near the right age. There were so many Paolo's I may be out of luck for him.

The other one is my 3rd great grandfather Domenico Marcuccio. He was alive when a daughter died in April 1875 but listed as deceased when other daughter married in December 1875. I cannot find his death record either.

I am searching in Castel Campagnano (Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, morti, cittadinanze 1866-1892 Nati 1893) I had hoped to find Maria in 1873 and Domenico in 1875. I cannot confirm this would be my Mariangela but it is the only clue I have.

I just don't have enough information yet to write to the comune. I thought I would just look very closely at every record from 1867 to 1892. But I've looked at so many records that I have to take a dramamine because the microfilm makes me dizzy!

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks,

Lesa