Old document translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Truglio

Old document translation

Postby Truglio » 23 Apr 2011, 05:52

Can anyone offer any assistance in translating the attached document?
Mem Card.jpg
Mem Card.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 477 times

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Old document translation

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Apr 2011, 12:09

On the right side, can you make out what is under the "IL PRESIDENTE DELLA FEDERAZIONE" stamp? The portion above says "Federation of the Italian World" and the first word on the next line is "War". Al together, it appears to be a membership card in WWII veterans association.

On the left panel, the first heading is Federation __________, Section: Follansbee, W. Va.

Rank, Surname, Given Name:
Profession: Mill Worker
Born in: Ciro
Currently residing in: Follansbee (West Virginia)
Decorations (medals, awards) and Campaigns (battles fought):
Date drafted/joined: June 20, 1938

For others: I trimmed it up and re-posted the image:

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Apr 2011, 12:21

Truglio, I also sent you a private message; hover your mouse over the Control Panel button at the top of this page.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Truglio

Postby Truglio » 24 Apr 2011, 06:55

I was not able to access the private message.

Truglio

Postby Truglio » 24 Apr 2011, 06:58

I am most interested in the Section entitled Campaigns and Decorations. This is from WWI. He was a corporal in the Italian Army during WWI and was taken prisoner.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Apr 2011, 13:09

Any luck yet with the private message? It seems to have been delivered.

I would suggest you write to the provincial archives of Catanzaro where you will probably find records pertaining to Comune di Cirò (Comune di Cirò is currently part of the province of Crotone - newly formed in 1996 - prior to that date, it was part of Catanzaro). From there, you should be able to obtain your ancestor's complete military records which will have far, far, more information than is present on this card.

Write to:

Archivio di Stato di Catanzaro
Piazzetta della Libertà, 2
88100 Catanzaro CZ
ITALY

email: as-cz@beniculturali.it
web: http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... =CATANZARO

You can use the sample letter and other instructions found here: http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/viewt ... ds#p108736

Back to the card: someone else (Livio? Where are you? :lol: ) will have to try to make out what the card says regarding decorations and campaigns. Of note, however, since you said he was a WWI veteran, I now presume that the Data d'iscrizione: 20 June 1938 refers to the date he joined the Federation of Italian World War Veterans and was issued this membership card.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Apr 2011, 13:16

I see that letter looks partially corrupted by the new forum software. Let's try it again:

24 aprile 2011

[your name]
[your address]

Archivio di Stato di Catanzaro
Piazzetta della Libertà, 2
88100 Catanzaro CZ
ITALY

Egregii Signori,

Mi chiamo [your name here], ed abitare negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto.

Vi scrivo ora affinche mi aiutiate per fornire:

* FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO
* REGISTRO DI LEVA

per i miei bisnonno:

* [ancestor's name, last name first, all caps] nato nel Comune di Cirò [date of birth] paternità [father's given name/nome if you know it], maternità [mother's full maiden name if you know it "SMITH JANE"]

Sarà mio onere il rimborso per le spese di uso del servizio e costi di spedizione. Mi faccia sapere l'importo corretto.

Distinti saluti,

[your signature]
Carmine

Truglio

Postby Truglio » 24 Apr 2011, 16:13

Thank you. You are most helpful. This has been a difficult process trying to find my grandfather's military records. I appreciate your assistance. I was able to open the private message and I read it, but I don't understand what bearing it has on this document.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Apr 2011, 16:43

Truglio wrote:... I was able to open the private message and I read it, but I don't understand what bearing it has on this document.

I sent a new PM with an explanation.
Carmine

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 27 Apr 2011, 18:18

Truglio wrote:I am most interested in the Section entitled Campaigns and Decorations. This is from WWI. He was a corporal in the Italian Army during WWI and was taken prisoner.

It states "Reduce Grande Guerra Italo Austriaca" = "Veteran of the Italian-Austrian Great War"

Carmine gave you a great advice to write to The Archivio di Stato di Catanzaro to get the military records.

Truglio

Postby Truglio » 29 Apr 2011, 00:09

Thank you for the translation. It is hard enough to try to translate a foreign language and then there is the added difficulty of trying to read another's handwriting.
I appreciate your assistance. I did send an email to the Archives in Catanzaro and they answered me, so I hope something is forthcoming from them.

Truglio

Postby Truglio » 21 May 2011, 22:06

Sometimes it feels like I am beating my head against a brick wall. I have written to the Italian State Archives numerous times trying to locate my grandfather's military records. The archives at Catanzaro tells me that their search turned up nothing; however, these records have to be out there somewhere. I asked if they could tell me where else I can look and they ignore me. I asked if they could tell me how much it costs to obtain these records and they ignore me. Is it really this hard to get people to cooperate? I don't think I am asking for too much and a little help would sure be appreciated since I am about 7500 miles away. This search has been going on for two years now.
I was successful in locating a relative. It seems that they have moved from their birthplace of Ciro to Pavia and we found a cousin. That was great.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”