Help with translation of a marriage "Atto"

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
tbehler
Rookie
Rookie

Help with translation of a marriage "Atto"

Post by tbehler »

With previous help from gracious members of this board, I have learned that my great great grandmother Rosalia Salerno was a widow when she married Giacomo Luca in Palermo. On page 3 of their marriage Atto, I found more handwritten information mentioning both her and her first husband, Gaetano Pi[a?]zzuto. But I cannot find any record of their marriage in any Palermo records. It occured to me that it's possible they were married somewhere else besides Palermo. Is anyone able to translate this text? I'm hoping it will lead to more clues about her and her first husband Gaetano.

Thanks!

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5930 ... larged.png
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help with translation of a marriage "Atto"

Post by liviomoreno »

According to this act I would say that the correct surname is Rizzuto.

the page contains the continuation of the list of the documents presented for the marriage:
Fifth, the death act of the groom's father.
Sixth, the death act of the groom's mother.
Seventh, the death act of Gaetano Rizzuto, previous husband of Rosalia Salerno, according to this act the first marriage was canceled with the death of his husband since more than ten months
Eighth, the death act of the bride's father.
Nineth, the death act of the bride's mother.

The spouses did not produce the death acts of their paternal grandparents and have declared under oath they (the grandparents) are not attending the marriage bacause they don't know where they died nor their last place of residence.
tbehler
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbehler »

Livio...

Once again you have come to my aid, many thanks!

My qwest gets ever more interesting. Neither Giacomo, a servant and [for a while, at least] even a coachman...nor Rosalia, know of the fate of their grandparents? How very curious.

I wonder if the previous generation of their family died very young and no one was left to pass on their family history. I know that Palermo suffered many outbreaks of cholera, which killed thousands at a time. Could that have something to do with it? And/or perhaps their grandparents did not live in Palermo?

Oh, goodness, there could be a thousand different explanations.

Molto grazie ancora una volta! ;-]
tbehler
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbehler »

With items 5-9 describing documents and records submitted by Giacomo and Rosalia for their marriage application now identified, I realize that items 1-4 would also be good to know. They are presumably described on page 2 of the Atto. Could someone translate this lower left hand section of page 2?

Thanks!

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4969/p ... larged.png
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

First, groom's birth act
Second, bride's birh act
Third, notification made in this section to which there was no opposition to the notification act made in the Sant'Oliva section on the day, month and year as above. (atto di notificazione fatto in questa sezione alla quale non è intervenuta opposizione alcuna nell'atto di notificazione fatto nella sezione Sant'Oliva nel giorno, mese ed anno come sopra?????)
Fourth, certificate of "non opposition" released by the Civil Record Officer (ufficiale di Stato civile) of Sant'Oliva.
tbehler
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbehler »

Thanks Livio...

I guessed both Giacomo and Rosalia would have to submit their own birth documents but I didn't realize there would need to be a certificate of non opposition from Giacomo's sezione. That's good to know...now I have another thing to search for in the Latter Day Saints' treasure trove of filmed Palermo records.

I'm forever in your debt, Livio!

Ciao!