Just a short note

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Just a short note

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 May 2011, 22:37

A prime example of why I don't like script/longhand, never use it myself, and certainly don't believe it should be used for official communications...

What does this note say?

I wrote (again) to Roccasecca to request Italian birth certificates for myself, my wife, and our son, plus our marriage certificate. This time I actually received documents (!) along with this note.

The final line is "Roccasecca, 21 aprile 2011" if it helps any. :?

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Just a short note

Postby Tessa78 » 13 May 2011, 05:11

He has sent you the certificates as you requested.

He sends his cordial regards to you, and to your family in the United States of America.

:-)

T.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 13 May 2011, 07:37

All I have to say is "Finalmente"!!
Bravo, Carmine. :)

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 13 May 2011, 09:25

"Le rimetto i certificati come da lei richiesti.
Cordiali saluti a lei, alla sua famiglia e agli Stati Uniti d'America.
Roccasecca, 21 aprile 2011"

Although it is an official communication, this person meant to be more friendly to you, and therefore he used handwriting...

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 May 2011, 13:22

@Tess & @Livio, thanks for the transcription and translation. Italian handwriting can be incredibly difficult to read.

@kontessa, thanks to you also for all your help. I would have to go through my records to try to narrow down a date, but I can say that the person currently in charge of Ufficio Anagrafe di Roccasecca is, I am fairly certain, relatively new on the job. To her I say, Bravissima! Buon lavoro!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 13 May 2011, 17:08

Well, if there IS someone new in that position, maybe you'll have much better luck obtaining additional documents or information in the future! :lol:

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 May 2011, 17:29

kontessa wrote:Well, if there IS someone new in that position, maybe you'll have much better luck obtaining additional documents or information in the future! :lol:

I am afraid the well will have been poisoned by the next time I try to drink from it! :shock:

As an aside, am I off-base in my thinking that the Ufficio Anagrafe is the only name on this page http://www.comune.roccasecca.fr.it/uffici-comunali.htm which is written Cognome Nome while all the others are Nome Cognome?

Aack! Is "Nardone Ascenza" a man or a woman?

I admit that, now that I look at it again, I am confused...
Carmine

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 14 May 2011, 15:49

In my opinion, Nardone is a surname and Ascenza is a female given name, although very rare.

I agree with Carmine that it s weird that all the other names in the page are written with the given name preceding the family name...

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 14 May 2011, 16:07

Thanks, Livio.

Very confusing! Especially because Ascenza (and Dell'Ascenza) appears as a surname in the telephone directory: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi?ts=103&qs=ascenza&btt=1&om=0

Of course, Nardone is far more prevalent and is common in Frosinone: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi?iq=&ver=default&font=default&btt=1&mr=10&rk=&om=&qs=nardone&dv=fr
Carmine

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”