Need help translating handwritten marriage doc

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bnelson
Rookie
Rookie

Need help translating handwritten marriage doc

Postby bnelson » 07 Jun 2011, 03:41

Hi,

Can anyone help me translate the following document?

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7gLZR-qaHY9ZGMyZWZiNzctZDlkZC00Y2NjLTkxMTUtY2QxNTlkODA1Nzk0&hl=en_US&authkey=CNeT0cEK

It pertains somehow to the marriage of Gaetano Caiazzo in November of 1920. The document was issued by town of Siano, but the marriage took place in the United States. Is the document an intention of marriage or a marriage certificate? I don't know how to read italian, and I am struggling with the handwriting. Any help translating the document would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Need help translating handwritten marriage doc

Postby adelfio » 07 Jun 2011, 16:10

I think this marriage contract is for legal purposes for Italian law since they were married in the USA
Looks like marriage of Gaetano Caiazzo son of decease Pietro Caiazzo and Angela Leo

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 07 Jun 2011, 17:07

It looks to me like the official did a review of the records and did NOT find a marriage contract for Gaetano Caiazza, son of deceased Pietro and of deceased Angela Leo, therefore, he appears to be single (unmarried) - in the document that is "risulta essere celibe"

T.

bnelson
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bnelson » 07 Jun 2011, 22:34

Thank you both for the responses.

I guess that a certificate that states he did not have a marriage contract makes sense. I always wondered why the document was dated 6 days prior to the marriage, and also why his wife's name was not mentioned.

Does anyone know if this sort of certificate common for Italian emigrants married in the USA?

Thanks again!

Bill

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”