Name Transcription Help...

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jrumore77

Name Transcription Help...

Postby jrumore77 » 16 Jun 2011, 16:00

Hello all,

I need help transcribing this name. I have multiple instances listed since it seems pretty difficult to transcibe. The name is feminine. I believe I might have the maiden surname figured out, but the first name I can't really get. I believe the surname is GAGLIANO, and some of the letters in the first name are UCARQIE, but I can't figure that first letter. The records were written in Giuliana Sicly back in 1749,1750,1751, and 1753. It seems some of the spellings on the names were latin as well. Any input would be appreciated...

[img]NAME.JPG[/img]
Attachments
NAME.JPG
Name

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Name Transcription Help...

Postby JohnArmellino » 16 Jun 2011, 18:44

I read it as Eucar_i_. The letter you read as a "q" might be exactly that, but I think it might a "p" instead - not sure. The last letter does not look like an "e" to me, although it might be stylized. I do feel confident that the first letter is an "e". Perhaps you can post the entire record. Often one can figure out what a letter is by comparing the writing to other words in the document.
John Armellino

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Name Transcription Help...

Postby JohnArmellino » 16 Jun 2011, 18:48

There is a Greek name, Eucarpia.
John Armellino

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”