Midwife's name on birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JOHN08
Elite
Elite

Midwife's name on birth record

Postby JOHN08 » 17 Jun 2011, 04:14

How common is it to have a midwife's name appear on the birth record? When I was researching the birth records for my relative, I noticed many of the records that I examined had the same female name after the word "comparso".

If this is a midwife, where would the father's name appear in the birth records.

I have referred to a number of textbooks and cannot find any input concerning this issue.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

John

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Midwife's name on birth record

Postby JohnArmellino » 17 Jun 2011, 06:49

The procedures followed by each Ufficio dello Stato Civile varied from town to town. That being said, usually the father presented the information. However, if the father was not available (i.e., out-of-town, ill, etc,), then a midwife, relative, doctor, etc., might present the info. In such cases, the father's name would ordinarily appear in the body of the record, often right before or after the mother's name.
John Armellino

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Midwife's name on birth record

Postby Italysearcher » 18 Jun 2011, 23:13

Unless the child was born to an unmarried woman in which case the father's name would be indicated as padre ignoto or some similar phrase, but in the body of the certificate as John stated.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”