Questions about Birth Act

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Questions about Birth Act

Post by Irishinamerica »

Greetings Everyone,

I have a birth act that belongs to a twin whose act several of you very graciously helped translate parts of for me several months ago.

Today I have some questions about the other twin's birth act. I already know the date of birth and name of the individual on this act (Carlo Alessandro Rolle, b. July 22nd 1884, Forno di Rivara).

I have noted that on many of this man's brother's and sister's birth acts the Stato Civile official's name is listed at the top as "Giambattista Marietti." However, on others the same man appears to be listed as a witness to the act (or so I think); but not as the Stato Civile official. Marietti is not listed as the Avanti di on the top if this act, but he is on others.

I am convinced that Marietti is related to Carlo somehow, and I would really appreciate any help that I can get with a translation of the part near the center of this birth act that discusses Giambattista Marietti, where it says "a quanto sopra e a questo..." I think that it says Casetti (name) of Pietro; but I want to see what you all think.

I am 100% certain that the Rolle's and Marietti's are related because one of this man's brothers married a woman whose mother's maiden name was Marietti...but that marriage occurred after this birth record; and the wife's father's name wasn't Giambattista.

Again thank you for help!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Questions about Birth Act

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Please keep this in mind:

The witnesses who are listed in and who signed birth, marriage, and death acts were not witnesses to the event itself, but witnesses to the recording of the event. These were usually municipal employees and/or any resident(s) who happened to be in the municipal office at the time the event was being recorded.

Giambattista Marietti may have been the Stato Civile official at the time of the first birth, but merely another municipio employee in later years.

He may or may not have been a relative, but the fact that he appears as a witness on multiple documents does not in any way justify that assumption.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I would really appreciate any help that I can get with a translation of the part near the center of this birth act that discusses Giambattista Marietti, where it says "a quanto sopra e a questo..." I think that it says Casetti (name) of Pietro; but I want to see what you all think.
Translation of the section beginning "A quanto sopra..."

"To the above and to this act was presented the testimony (was witnessed by) Giambattista Marietti, son of deceased Stefano, 46, secretary; and Andrea Casetti, son of Pietro, 43, master (teacher/school master), both residing in this town.

T.
Irishinamerica
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Irishinamerica »

Thank you Tessa and Carmine!

Carmine, looking at this again with Tessa's translation, I would have to agree with you! It was a small comune and I do have one Marietti for sure in the family tree so maybe there's a distant relation...but it was definitely as you suggest, just a man doing his official duties!

Thank you again!