birth translation please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

birth translation please

Postby bkworm10 » 03 Jul 2011, 15:54

I found this birth (or baptism) notice and it appears this baby was found by my ancestor, Francesco Laraja. Or perhaps the baby was left by his house? Could someone please translate this for me?

http://postimage.org/image/4z1o892c/

Also, what does it mean if just the father's name is listed on the baptism/birth? I have seen a few of these and wondered if it meant the mother had died during or after childbirth?

Thanks, A.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: birth translation please

Postby Tessa78 » 03 Jul 2011, 16:31

Record #168
Dated 1 December 1852, at 4 PM at the church of S. Nicola in Accettura

Child was born on 30 November 1852 at 5 AM to unknown parents
Looks like he was brought to the home of Francesco
Bpatized on 1 December at 4 PM

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 03 Jul 2011, 16:40

Thanks Tessa. My ancestor Francesco would have been about 14 or 15. So this is probably his uncle's home. I wonder how they came up with the name Angelo Mondano and why he was brought to their home? I wonder if they raised him or if he was related to them in anyway?

Do you know why sometimes just the father's name appears on the birth notice?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 04 Jul 2011, 01:52

An abandoned child would usually be given a name by the official. Sometimes this identified the child as abandoned (Esposito, Trovato, etc) which was eventually frowned upon. Sometimes the name that was given was a "fantasy" name... made-up -

As for only finding the father's name on the birth record...it was usually because the mother did not want to be identified. Usually this was to avoid the shame...whether unmarried, or married to someone else...

There is a great blog on this forum about abandoned children, and an insightful book called Sacrificed for Honor: Italian Infant Abandonment and the Politics of Reproductive Control by David I. Kertzer

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 04 Jul 2011, 03:41

Thanks Tessa. That's interesting about the missing mother on the birth record. I never thought the mother would not be identified, but the father would be.

I will look for the blog about abandoned children. Thanks!

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”