Postcard translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Postcard translation

Postby nrepole » 22 Jul 2011, 11:58

My relative, Pietro Repole, wrote on this postcard during WW1. He was in the US army, and his picture (featured in uniform) appears on other side of card. I cannot fully understand his writing and would like some help with translation.
See image: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5243/postcard1.jpg

Many thanks in advance,
Nick R.
Surnames: Repole, Pinto, Patrissi, Schettino, Sisti, Melli, Del Gaudio, Garofano, Gambuti, Parente

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Postcard translation

Postby PippoM » 22 Jul 2011, 16:03

First I write down what I read, and I translate.
It seems to me to read again those letters that my Gfather sent home during WW2. They are not written in a correct Italian, as they were not used to writing. I hope my traslation gives the sense of the letter, as I don't speak fluent English.
"Caro nipote, ti manto questo mio ritratto è quanto loavrai nelle mane, lidarai un bacio? ma per dirti laverità non sono venuto buono che non stavo tanto bene quel giorno che la fatto, anzi mimanterai anche tu la tua fitografia che ti voglio vedere? di nuovo ... (I can't read it) porto bene"
"Dear grandson (or nephew), I send you this picture of mine, and when you have it in your hands, will you kiss it? But to tell you the truth, I don't look fine, as I didn't feel well the day I took it; will you send me a photo of you, as I want to see you? again...
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Postcard translation

Postby nrepole » 22 Jul 2011, 23:57

Thank you so much PippoM! Your translation will mean a lot to my american-italian relatives.

All the best
Nick R.
Surnames: Repole, Pinto, Patrissi, Schettino, Sisti, Melli, Del Gaudio, Garofano, Gambuti, Parente

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”