Personal description

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Personal description

Postby KarenChristino » 23 Jul 2011, 15:14

I have my GGF's military record but can't make out parts of his personal description. Since we have no pictures of him, I want to know what it says!

Colorito - bruno -- Does this simply mean dark in general? (His son, my GF was fair.)
Capelli -- Castagui -- "Castagna" in my dictionary means "chestnut" -- so, dark brown?
Capelli -- forma -- looks like "Onvati" -- I can't find this! Any thoughts?

Karen

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Personal description

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Jul 2011, 17:40

Can you post the document?

Capelli, forma: refers to the style or type of hair. You would expect to find the Italian equivalent of terms such as curly, straight, wavy, bald, and so on. You can look up suspect words at a site like http://www.wordreference.com/enit/

Colorito means complexion; bruno would be a typical dark skinned southern Italian.

As you guessed, the hair color is chestnut brown.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 23 Jul 2011, 17:51

Thank you Carmine! I am not so swift with the technology, unfortunately. The handwriting is rather clear, though, and the word I'm still searching for (and cannot find online) is "Onvati" regarding the hair type. Doesn't appear to be curly, straight or bald!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Jul 2011, 18:11

Possibly ondulati? Means wavy hair.

Some terms in these documents use common (at the time and place the record was created) abbreviations. Perhaps you are seeing an abbreviated version of ondulati.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 24 Jul 2011, 00:11

Si -- I never thought to check "wavy" -- that's it! Thanks Carmine.

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 24 Jul 2011, 03:49

hi Karen! I will reply to your email later tonight or tomorrow but while I was grabbing records today at the FHC I did print off some Cristino records. I'll email you the names and if you would like them I will email to you. Hopefully you will be able to read them because the machine at my FHC is very old and I read most of the documents with a magnifying glass even after altering the lightness and darknes on the printer :)
Talk with you soon!
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”