Birth Record for Giovann Gammino (Gambino)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lilbees
Master
Master

Birth Record for Giovann Gammino (Gambino)

Postby lilbees » 30 Jul 2011, 01:44

Can someone read this record for me. At this time of day I don't think I can read anything. I do believe it is in Latin but not sure.

Need: father, mother, town of birth and date of birth. Any other family members would be appreciated.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... record.jpg

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record for Giovann Gammino (Gambino)

Postby Tessa78 » 30 Jul 2011, 02:33

This appears to be a passport issued 28 November 1892 in Palermo
to
Giovanna Gammino, daughter of Giorgio
going to New York
also traveling with her are her children
Rosa Ferranetta(sp?) daughter of Francesco, age 17
Lorenzo, age 15
Teresa, age 9
Lauretta (sp?), age 4

It would seem that Giovanna's husband is Francesco Ferranetta.

T.

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 30 Jul 2011, 12:59

Thanks T. Giovanna's husband is correct. It is Francesco Terranella. Rosa is her daughter along with Giovanna's other children. On our records Giovanna's name is Gambino. Gammino is certainly different but it is a passport and not a birth record.

I am confused about the date. She was officially naturalized Oct. 1892 (have a copy of the document). Of course, I am sure that was issued without her appearance. Now I need to dig for her arrival with her childen. She had immigrated initially in 1888 or so.

How long would a passport been good for. 1920 census information states 1894 for the children's arrival.

Would have been nice to know her comune.

Need to keep digging.

Thanks again,
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

yankeestranger

Postby yankeestranger » 30 Jul 2011, 23:52

The passport, at the bottom, states that it is valid for one year. In the left hand column, clear at the bottom, it says "Nato a" (born in) - Campofelice di Fitalia (it's in the province of Palermo and was once a smaller hamlet attached to Mezzoiuso). It was a little bit of a bear to decipher, but now you have your place of birth. You can go to www.familysearch.org and see if they have your town on microfilm or if they have it up online...if it's on film, you can order copies to be sent to a family history center near your home and get started!

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 31 Jul 2011, 13:16

Thank you for the additional information. Will check out Family Search and see what I can find.

lilbees

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Aug 2011, 02:47

I am confused about the date. She was officially naturalized Oct. 1892 (have a copy of the document). Of course, I am sure that was issued without her appearance. Now I need to dig for her arrival with her childen. She had immigrated initially in 1888 or so.

I'm guessing that her Naturalization was actually as a result of her husband's naturalization. That information would not have concerned (or been known by) the Italian government in whose eyes she was still a citizen of Italy who needed a Passport to go to New York with her children. :-)

T.

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 01 Aug 2011, 12:51

Thanks Tessa. I found the return to the U.S. in early 1893 with her younger children.

Does anyone know what the residential requirement for naturalization in the 1800s? Can't remember. The passport was issued in November 1892 and her official naturalizaiton was October 1892. A copy of her certificate of naturalization was in her name only at that time.

I am still struggling to find the original arrival in the U.S. in 1888 or earlier I believe. That is the information she gave on the 1920 census while living with her daughter. So far I have come up with nothing. Her husband was Francesco Terranella b. abt 1840 and her name was Giovanna Gambino b. abt 1845. I have been trying to go year by year working backward with no luck yet.

Thanks again,
lilbees

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”