Help with abbreviations in a birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ldelpino

Help with abbreviations in a birth record

Postby ldelpino » 06 Aug 2011, 20:08

Hello to all!

I'm having trouble deciphering abbreviations in one of my ancestor's birth record from Santa María della Cella, Sampierdarena, Genova, specifically what I think is "D.ci" and "q:"

I think the "q:" means quondam but I'm not sure. I have no clue as to what the "D.ci" might mean other than maybe the maternal surname???

You can see the image here:

http://gallery.me.com/ldelpino#101056

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Lourdes

Lucap
Master
Master

Re: Help with abbreviations in a birth record

Postby Lucap » 17 Aug 2011, 22:37

Sorry for the delay. :wink:

Q. stands for quondam (as you said) and means "of the late".
D.ci is the abbreviation of the latin name Dominicus in the genitive form (Dominici), so in the act it means "of Domenico".
We have that the newborn, Domenico, was the son of Tommaso Galliano and the nephew of Domenico (and Domenico, the grandfather, was the son of the late Antonio); the mother's name was Angela Galliano (same surname!) daughter of Domenico (and Domenico, the other grandfather but with the same name, was son of the late Sebastiano).
But Galliano (Ambrogio Galliano) was the surname of the priest, too! Not the one who baptized the baby, but the one that gave the permission to do it (the parish priest).
Witnesses were the grandfather of the baby (Domenico Galliano) and the aunt (the mother's sister: Antonia Galliano, daughter of Domenico of the late Sebastiano!).
Galliano's saga!!!

L.

ldelpino

Re: Help with abbreviations in a birth record

Postby ldelpino » 09 Oct 2011, 23:34

Thank you so much Lucap!

I guess I did not set my preferences correctly and never got a notice my question had been answered. I'm glad I decided to check anyway.

It seems that Sampierdarena was full of Gallianos, doesn't it? Domenico emigrated to Gibraltar, and from there to Cuba by mid XIXth century. This is the first document I have related to my italian ancestry. Thank you for helping me understand it!

Saludos,

L

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”