World War I Paperwork & Question

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JML77
Rookie
Rookie

World War I Paperwork & Question

Postby JML77 » 08 Sep 2011, 23:58

I would appreciate it if someone could help me to make some sense of what is written on the below photos. They were glued into a photo album long ago, and are so delicate that I am afraid that trying to remove the remaining black background will damage the paperwork without making any more of the writing visible. The other side of the papers has a series of small photographs of soldiers, and I think that it relates to the time of World War I. The left side of the second photograph appears to be cut-off on the original just like in the copy below.

Also, I have a few photos of a war monument and men standing in front of a flag unknown to me in addition to the soliders' photos on the other side of this paperwork. Which board on this site should I post them to in order to get assistance with further identification? I was thinking of posting them to this one, but it seems that it is meant just for handwriting translation. Suggestions would be appreciated as I am rather new to this site and am not familiar with any others that might be more appropriate to handle this type of request. Thank you.

1. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/047ec.jpg/
2. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/049ck.jpg/

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: World War I Paperwork & Question

Postby Tessa78 » 09 Sep 2011, 03:33

Hi JML77,
From what I can see image #1 looks like an announcement to "Fellow citizens"
and seems to indicate that they want to erect a monument, probably to those who served or whose lives were lost in the years 1915-1918.
It is dated July 1922 in Ripabottoni...
The list of names MAY be those who served OR it's the "Committee of Honor" that is mentioned in the second image. You'll have to compare the list of names.
The second image is a "cartolina postale"/ a POSTCARD and on the left it speaks of the "guerra Italo-Austrica"... Italo-Austrian wars
The right side is the Committee of Honor and lists Cav. Vincenzo Cappuccilli as President.

I would post the images in the "History and Culture" forum. Someone there may be able to provide more complete information... :-)

T.

JML77
Rookie
Rookie

Re: World War I Paperwork & Question

Postby JML77 » 12 Sep 2011, 17:59

Thank you, Tessa. The names on the photos do not match with those on the list, and so I am assuming that the write-up deals with the committee and the photos deal with those who died in the war. I will follow-up on the other issues as advised.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”