Monaco, Salzillo marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Monaco, Salzillo marriage

Postby oilman19 » 20 Sep 2011, 11:01

It looks like Francesco Monaco married Teresa Salzillo 19 Jan 1861.
Francesco was born in Caserta of (deceased)Filippo and (deceased) Raffaela Mezzarazo(?) and is 65 years old.
Teresa was born in Santa Maria of (deceased) Ignazio and (deceased) Maria Giuseppa Aulicino and is 34 years old.

I am getting lost trying to figure out their previous spouses. :? Can someone please help me to sort this out.

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Monaco, Salzillo marriage

Postby liviomoreno » 20 Sep 2011, 12:25

January 19 1861 - Marriage promise between Lorenzo Palmieri and Maria Gaetana Rossetti

Francesco Monaco is the legal representative of the groom Lorenzo Palmieri widower of Antonia Morelli, aged 65 born in Caserta son of dceased Filippo and deceased Raffaela Mazzarano
Teresa Salzillo legal representative of the bride Maria Gaetana Rossetti aged 34(?) born in Santa Maria, daughter of deceased Ignazio and deceased Maria Giuseppa Aulicino

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 20 Sep 2011, 12:41

Hi Livio

That explains why I couldn't figure it out.
Why would the bride and groom have a legal representative? I'm not sure I have seen this before. Also, is a "marriage promise" the same as a marriage?

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 20 Sep 2011, 12:51

The Marriage promise is the promise that they will get married. After the promise, the Banns are posted and after that the actual marriage will occur.

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 20 Sep 2011, 13:16

Thank you, Livio.
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Sep 2011, 16:35

The only previous spouse that I think I see mentioned is that of Lorenzo...
He is the widower of Antonia Miorelli.

T.

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 21 Sep 2011, 10:43

Hi T.

I am in a quandary. When I ordered these films from the FHC catalog, they were indicated on the list as "matrimoni". I failed to note upon arrival that they were not "atti di matrimonio". I had become accustomed to minor changes to forms during this period and ignored the fact that these were only promises to marry, not the actual marriage document. While they obviously have valuable info for my use, I had been treating them as official marriage documents that the ceremony would have produced.
I am hoping that, worst case, I am off by a few weeks with the marriage date, but the ceremony hopefully did take place.
However, I am upset and embarrassed by this experience. :oops:
My problem is that I don't read much of the Italian language. I have successfully been able to cherry pick the info I sense that I need from the documents, such as names, dates, and locations. While this works in most cases, you can see the trouble that I have gotten myself into.
So, I guess I will have to try to order the correct films and repair whatever I can. I have my work cut out for me. :cry:

Thank you for your help.
Jim

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”