Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cmm

Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest

Postby cmm » 09 Nov 2011, 18:54

I am trying to find some one to help me translate to english my family crest. Attached is a copy of it written in Italian. Any one up for the challenge? Thank you in advance.

Marchese Crest 2.JPG

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help with translation of MARCHESE family crest

Postby liviomoreno » 09 Nov 2011, 19:52

MARCHESE
Were part of the Nobility in Messina, Palermo, etc. owned the Principality of Scaletta, the Marquisate of Rajata, the Baronies of Bambina, Bonalbero, Casalotto, Castelluzzo, Foresta di Taormina, Graneri, Guidomandri, San Marco lo Celso, Missoria, Rapisi, Ganteri, etc tec. A Placido received, with privilege, the title of Baron of Criato or Ropadimare; a Gaspare received, with privilege, the title of Marquis of Rajata, ecc. In the register of the Nobles in Messina, we see a Count (Earl) Francesco Baron of PietroGoliti and a Nicolò Baron of Gregorio.

cmm

Postby cmm » 10 Nov 2011, 01:43

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Wonderful but now I guess I need to find out what it all means. Any suggestions on how or where I should start this research? I really appreciate your help.

Lucap
Master
Master

Postby Lucap » 10 Nov 2011, 09:44

Hello cmm, can I ask you who told you that this is "your" family crest?
L.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 10 Nov 2011, 14:01

I'd call it a "surname crest"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

cmm

Postby cmm » 10 Nov 2011, 19:15

Lucap wrote:Hello cmm, can I ask you who told you that this is "your" family crest?
L.

Hello and well I am only going on the fact that this framed piece hung in my family's home ever since I can remember as a child. I don't recall my Mom or Dad telling me specifically that it was OUR family crest. I just thought that it was since that is my Dad's last name. I noticed another comment made that it is a SURNAME crest and prehaps that is the case, in fact, just a surmane.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 10 Nov 2011, 19:40

I did the first translation for you, but I don't understand the use of the word CREST. I have searched the Webster Dictionary on line http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/crest[1] but I could not find any suitable definition...

cmm

Postby cmm » 10 Nov 2011, 21:55

liviomoreno wrote:I did the first translation for you, but I don't understand the use of the word CREST. I have searched the Webster Dictionary on line http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/crest[1] but I could not find any suitable definition...

Hello again, and I may certainly be using the wrong terminology of the word CREST. That is how it was told to me as a child...our family crest. Maybe it is more of a Coat Of Arms? Feedback is always welcomed as I am pretty new to this kind of research and terminology. In advance, THANKS 8)

cmm

Postby cmm » 10 Nov 2011, 22:09

This is the whole Crest/Coat Of Arms picture if it makes more sense to see it in it's entirety.
Marchese Crest 1.JPG

Lucap
Master
Master

Postby Lucap » 11 Nov 2011, 00:21

It's very probable that this coat of arms is the usual gold brick (I hope this the right definition) that some dishonest genealogist (or self-styled genealogist) try to sell at persons (in good faith) that are wishful to know their family story.
This is only my guess, but in my experience I can say tha this theory is true at 90% of probability.
L.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”