Translating letter to cemetery

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Squigy
Master
Master

Translating letter to cemetery

Postby Squigy » 24 Nov 2011, 19:26

I've been trying to find out exactly when my great grandfather's youngest brother (Raffaele Maietta) died. I know his birth (or baptism, at least) date and that he was definitely alive in the late 70's (I had an aunt who went to see him in around 1977). He was born 1897, so he most likely died some time in the 80's.

Anyway, I recently had the idea to contact the local cemetery, there, and ask if they would be so kind as to send me a picture of his (and other relatives') heastones. Will they do this if I don't know his date of death (or even his wife's name)? I also want it, because it's my understanding Italians often use photos on their headstones - that would be great to have.

Anyway, here is what I want to put in my letter:

Dear Sirs,

My name is (my name) and I live in the U.S. My great grandfather Giuseppe Maietta was born in the Comune of Marcianise in 1880, and came to America in 1902. He did, however, leave behind his parents, and several siblings. I was hoping if I gave you their names and information, you could search your records and see if they're buried in your cemetery. I would be very interested in learning their death dates, and if at all possible, I would be very grateful if you could send me photos of their headstones.

The names I would like information for are:

Angelo Maietta. Born 1849/1850. Son of Giuseppe Maietta. Married Felicia Rossano.

Felicia Rossano. Born ?. Daughter of Domenico Rossano and Maria Giovanna Tessitore. Married Angelo Maietta.

Michele Maietta. Born circa 1885. Son of Angelo Maietta and Felicia Rossano.

Angela Maietta. Born circa 1884. Daughter of Angelo Maietta and Felicia Rossano. Married Antonio Staffieri (son of Alessandro Staffieri).

Raffaele Maietta. Born circa 1897. Son of Angelo Maietta and Felicia Rossano.

Please charge me for any expenses you may incur. If a donation is necessary, please notify me of the amount.

Kind regards,

(My name)

Does that work? Or does it need re-written?

Thanks!
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Translating letter to cemetery

Postby adelfio » 25 Nov 2011, 15:44

Mi chiamo (NAME). Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho biosgno delle informazioni dai vostri registri.
I miei antenati provennero da Marcianise.
Mio bisnonno Giuseppe Maietta data di nascita 1880 luogo di nascita comune di Marcianise e data d’emigrazione data verso gli stati uniti 1902.
I genitori e i fratelli rimasti in Marcianise e sono sepolti nel cimitero di (NAME OF CEMETERY)
Potreste cercare l’atto di morte di queste persone nei vostri registri e vedere se sono sepolti nel vostro cimitero.
Vorrei essere molto interessati ad imparare la loro morte date, e se possibile, le sarei molto grata se potesse inviarmi le foto delle loro di tombale
Angelo Maietta. nati 1849/1850 e figlio di Giuseppe Maietta sposata Felicia Rossano.
Felicia Rossano nati ? figlia di Domenico Rossano e Maria Giovanna Tessitore sposato Angelo Maietta.
Michele Maietta nati circa 1885 di figlio Angelo Maietta e Felicia Rossano.
Angela Maietta nati circa 1884 di figlia Angelo Maietta e Felicia Rossano sposato Antonio Staffieri di figlio Alessandro Staffieri.
Raffaele Maietta nati circa 1897 di figlio Angelo Maietta and Felicia Rossano
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri e di farmi sapere il costo delle copie.
Vi prego di farmi sapere il costo del vostro aiuto e come posso effettuare il pagamento.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.
Distinti saluti,
Heres a rough draft if anyone wants to chip in go right ahead

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 25 Nov 2011, 15:48

If you want to know when he died I suggest you request his birth record, it usually gives that information. YOu should include in your letter that that is the information you need and mybe the town will look it up if it is not written on the record.
Most graves (niches) are reused after about 30 years so you may not find graves for your ancestors. Check out my piece on cemeteries on my website under Italian research.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 25 Nov 2011, 18:18

@Marty,

Thank you so much for the translation! This helps a lot.

@Ann,

I didn't know that - that stinks! I know Raffaele died *after* the late 70's - is it possible he's still buried there?

I have Angela's birth record. It's on Ancestry.com. I can't find Raffaele's because the *only* year that's missing, happens to be 1897! I don't want to request one, as I just requested my great grandfather's (for dual citizenship).

Anyway, there is a note on Angela's, do you know what is says (I see her husband's name in there):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61196877@N05/6400512263/

Well, I'll write the letter, anyway, and see what happens. Thank you both for your replies.
My Italian surnames:

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 26 Nov 2011, 20:02

I can't read it all, but there's a date (1909), and from the second line on "...in Marcianise, la Majetta sposò (married) Antonio Staffieri"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 27 Nov 2011, 07:16

"Con atto 11 nov 1909 n. 55 in Marcianise la Majetta sposò Antonio Staffieri"

The marriage took place on Nov 11 1909 and was recorded with #55.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 28 Nov 2011, 18:48

Thank you Pippo and Livio for your help with the translations - I found Angela's marriage record :D
My Italian surnames:

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”